• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rear main seal

rjm7263

NAXJA Forum User
Hey all, I have a 2000 xj sport with what I belive is a bad rear main seal. Want to know if any one has any good write ups on how to fix this I know I got to drop the oil pan and all. Does any one know how hard the job realy is any info would be great thanks

Did it for the 2nd time last weekend on my '90 and it took 5-6 hrs. The first time was significantly longer as the factory RTV on the oil pan and original RMS put up one heck of a fight. There are a few writeups here and at comancheclub.com if you search. There are a few different ways to get the oil pan off...my choice was to completely unload the front suspension, drop the pan as far as possible, and then drop the oil pump into the pan. 2 bolts hold the oil pump in and it seemed a lot easier than any of my other options. Once the pump is free the oil pan will roll out to the pass side.

Make sure your RMS is the true cause of the oil leak. Oil filter adapter seals and valve cover gaskets can mimmick the RMS as they both will end up dripping from the RMS area. Wouldn't it be grand if you found out it was a much simpler fix in the first place?

It's not that bad....and you're in modified.

Yea that's my fault some can move it to the proper forum thanks guys

one suggestion, since you have it off anyways, replace the oilpan and oilpan seal while you're at it. Also get all the seals for your oil filter and filter adapter. Just to it all at once. They are probably all leaking.

Why would you replace a perfectly good oilpan? Seal, yes.

EDIT: the jeepin writeup was the one I used 5 or 6 years ago when I did mine for the first time

Hey all, I have a 2000 xj sport with what I belive is a bad rear main seal. Want to know if any one has any good write ups on how to fix this I know I got to drop the oil pan and all. Does any one know how hard the job realy is any info would be great thanks

I used 5-90's writeup also, which was geared towards an older XJ. You will find some differences on your 2000, including a bearing brace and a oil pan support bracket that was a pain to remove. I captured some of these issues and thoughts in the thread below:

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1021917

Why would you replace a perfectly good oilpan? Seal, yes.

EDIT: the jeepin writeup was the one I used 5 or 6 years ago when I did mine for the first time

I have a 30yr old XJ with an odometer that stopped working at 230,000 miles. Doesn't leak a drop of oil. That's why. Changing your rear main seal is an event that probably only happens once or twice in the lifetime of a vehicle so it's certainly a good time to just go out and get a new oilpan.

Also, for $60 you not only get a new oilpan but also save yourself from having to remove the remains of the old seal from the old pan. Well worth the money imo.

I have a 30yr old XJ with an odometer that stopped working at 230,000 miles. Doesn't leak a drop of oil. That's why. Changing your rear main seal is an event that probably only happens once or twice in the lifetime of a vehicle so it's certainly a good time to just go out and get a new oilpan.

Also, for $60 you not only get a new oilpan but also save yourself from having to remove the remains of the old seal from the old pan. Well worth the money imo.

Especially good idea for those that live in high-rust zones!

OP, while you are in there don't forget to torque ALL of the rod and main cap bolts, and depending on your mileage a new oil pump could be some cheap maintenance.

Back