• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

NP231 pops out of gear.

medicguy

NAXJA Forum User
Hey all, tried to search, but didn't fins anything.

While wheeling today, I got into a dry river wash, and part way through I decided I would need 4lo to get up theo ther side. I stopped, put the tcase into 4lo, then tried to pull forward. The case popped out of 4lo and into neutral. It did that twice, and finally on the third try I jsut left it in 4hi, and got out. it has never popped out in 4hi.

Being a novice with a Jeep, could I just have given it too much gas and it popped out that way? There is a bit of play in the tcase shifter from side to side when it is engaged.

Other than that, I think the cvjoints are going cause when engaged in either 4 wheel option, I get a clunking sound when turning heard either way.

drop into the wash

IMG_0721.jpg

the small decline into the wash
IMG_0719.jpg

Sorry no pics of the other side. Though the pics might help.

Meddie

12GAXJ, I'll have to look at all that tomorrow. And wondering, does my 1993 Sport manual trans'd Jeep even have CV's? Like I have stated before, I am nowhere near a mechanic, and very un-savvy with this type of stuff.....

not CV's, u-joints.
Cheap, but can be a PITA to replace. Lot's of cursing and beating things with a hammer.

Back