• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Standing oil in my engine?!

MacTavish

NAXJA Forum User
So I have a problem... I can't add any oil into my car. And its getting dangerously low.

Here's the picture:

11t4kzm.jpg

What do I do here? The only potential solution I can think of right now is changing out the oil and draining the sucker dry. Maybe the oil filter itself is so clogged that nothing can get through? I really have no idea and I need some help on this one. The car is practically undriveable until this is fixed. Help!

Yeah like xjs4two said looks like the cap is broke, mine did that. use a set of needle nose pliers and spread them apart and try and remove the cap.

Last edited:
Clean what's left of the cap really well and fill it with JB weld. Take the top portion of the cap and jam it back on the bottom. Let it sit overnight and use a Craftsman rubber strap wrench to remove it. The whole thing should come right out. Worked great when mine fell apart a few months ago.

When this happened to me, I pulled out the front breather and filled it that way. It was tough to get back in, but it worked.

Luckily, I was able to jam my needle nose pliers in the center and unscrew it. I had no idea that the thing had broken off in there. Since this is my first jeep and I had just bought it, I had no idea what the full oil cap even looked like! But, thank God that worked out so easily. So my jeep got its much needed oil transfusion and I'm a happy camper! Problem solved! Thanks to Xjs4two, ReverendOD, 1987Comanche, and everyone else who responded!

Xjs4two and ReverendOD for getting me started and 1987Comanche for helping me put the thing back together. I'll probably glue the two pieces back together with gorilla glue or something else since I don't have JB Weld. Thanks again guys!

MacTavish

wow, just wow:doh:

Yeah, buy a new cap. This is one of the things we kept in stock at the quicklube I worked at because they break fairly often, we'd just throw a new one on when we broke one.

We always used a pair of channel lock pliers to grab the edge and turn it though, never used the needlenose trick. Some of them were really cranked in there TIGHT.

EDIT: or go to a junkyard. They may give you one free, they have a 55 gallon drum of gas caps in the office at my local yard with a "free" sign on it.

Back