• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

E-code headlights

almondjoy137

NAXJA Forum User
whats up guys ive been looking through some previous threads about headlight upgrades and i just needed some clarification...i was thinking about getting the sylvania silverstars but ive heard better things about hella lamps...was just seeing if the hella e-code lamps are the whole housing or the housing and the ballasts needed for the xenon bulbs...i was looking on rallylights.com and was looking at the kits like H6054J and H6054N which are the e-code housings and the xenon bulbs and didnt know what else i would need to get along with that kit to be able to install it...could anyone give me some advice? would be greatly appreciated. thanks :)

im running the ecode lights on my jeep. i bought them off rallylights.com and they have great service. they came with everything you needed but basically you just have the housngs and bulbs, nothing else you honestly need. i love the lights, great beam pattern. you will be happy with either of those bulbs. i just went with the regular 55/60 bulbs and work pretty good. id like to upgrade to higher wattage bulbs but id rather save my money for my axle swap.

Last edited:
All you need are the E code housings and a set of H4 bulbs, if you want peak performance out of them then also order the aux harness, this will up the voltage to the lights as it wires directly into the power distribution center and one of the existing headlight sockets plugs into it to operate it. Well worth the money... Rally lights is a good shop too...

I have been doing lots of reading on this the past couple of days as well. Days are getting short and I am driving in the dark to and from work soon. Living in a rural area with a high deer population makes an exciting drive home some nights.

From lots of searching here it seems the "78142 H4 12V 130/90W" bulbs with E-Code housings are very popular. I thought of buying a harness but I have plenty of new relays, sockets, and wire around to make my own with a few connectors I can get from rallylighs as well.

Anybody have trouble with the H4 connectors melting at the light? Found this in a couple of threads this morning.

I use the 55/100 bulbs so my low beams are standard (halogen) strength, then the high beams really light up the night.

Run 10ga. wire, buy new connecters, pull out the small wire they come with and solder directly to the 10ga. Any bottleneck of smaller wire will generate heat.

Only two choices for brand, Hella (2), and Cibie (1). You get what you pay for, anything "US DOT approved" will be commensurately reduced quality/performance.

Shogun said:
Only two choices for brand, Hella (2), and Cibie (1). You get what you pay for, anything "US DOT approved" will be commensurately reduced quality/performance.

IPF makes a very nice European module as well.

yes.

Just called rallylights.com and they were trying to recommend me the new osram made bultbs that they had. Suposed to be just as bright with lower power requirements?
Also said the 90/130s were not that long lived, anybody here have input on that?

danielstern.com also recomends ciebe housings over hella for better beam pattern... who knows.

I dunno, starting to get confused on what I need.

Go with the hella E codes, recommended H4 bulbs, I currently have Sylvania silver start bulbs in my E codes, mostly because the local store was out of osram bulbs, they work OK. Just try to make sure the bulb is a white bulb and not a yellowish one. The guys at rally lights won't steer you wrong, just say they were recommended to you by some members of blue mountain jeep alliance. We buy alot of stuff from them..

I have CIBIE's too, 7" rounds, just been too lazy to stick them in the TJ but the cut pattern in them very good, price is pretty steep though. Mine are from 73 which is when I bought them.

I switched out my sealed beams with the APC 5x7 lense/housing and put in Hella 9003/H4. I have brighter lights and a clearer view. Total cost was about 80 bucks, but it helps when you work at an auto parts store. Then lenses costed about $40 and the Hella bulbs where another $40-45. And so far everything has held up well, I am impressed...

hey just giving an update i ended up purchasing the e-code lights and the 100w/80w xenon bulbs but i was just wondering what wiring harness i would have to upgrade to to get more out of the lights...i thought they would be brighter...i mean they are brighter than the stock ones but not as white as i expected...and not worth the $100 i spent on it all :p

Go stick your stockers back in on a long straight dark road, turn em on and have a friend walk out as far as you can see him or her. Then put the E codes in, then have that friend walk another 1/2 mile..

www.rallylights.com has a decent one.

almondjoy137 said:
hey just giving an update i ended up purchasing the e-code lights and the 100w/80w xenon bulbs but i was just wondering what wiring harness i would have to upgrade to to get more out of the lights...i thought they would be brighter...i mean they are brighter than the stock ones but not as white as i expected...and not worth the $100 i spent on it all :p
Basically you need to add a harness that uses a set of relays to control the lights. Go Jeeps headlight harness Is a good link on how to build one yourself. I wouldn't feel safe running anything much larger than stock wattages (about 35w a bulb) on the factory harness either. I'm running 85/80w bulbs on a 10awg homemade harness, and the brights are so bright you can't stand to even walk toward the front of my Jeep without shielding your eyes!

22.95 for generic glass lens E-code housings and bulbs, thread has before and after pictures (at least three times more light than my old Wagners)

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=906034

There's going to have to be a WHOLE LOT wrong with these, before the couple hundred dollars for CIBIES or Hella conversion housings becomes worth it. They both conform to the same European standard. They're glass and at 22.95 you can put any premium quality bulb you want inside them for 20 or 30 dollars more and have saved over a hundred bucks for some other mod.

Back