• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Brake issues...

mrmikey32

NAXJA Forum User
i have a 92 cherokee. awhile ago i was wheeling and my front driver side line rusted through and broke.

i replaced the line, and caliper. bled it, and had no pressure. went to bleed the other side, ended up replacing it. I can not get any pressure to build up in the the two front brakes. the rears have no problem locking up.

any ideas?

everything worked great till that line broke

did you replace the lines with new ones or old? my guess is that you have bad or wrong connections in your replacement lines somewere, and your not getting a good tight seal. basically pulling and pushing the fluid back and forth as you pump the pedal. have you tried pulling the fluid from the res. at the calipers? buy or borrow a mightyVac or similar pump and pull the fluid to the calipers, then tighten the bleed screws. once the caliper is full of fluid you should have instant presure when apply the pedal. if the pedal slowly goes to the floor, you most likely have a bad/loose connection somewere.

Try using speed bleeders instead of regulars, I hate to sound like a corporate shill for them but they're the best thing I ever got for brake work. They make bleeding brakes really, really, really easy.

yes i understand that. but a new hard line may have the wrong threaded ends. close, but wrong, and will not seal. you probably wont see any fluid coming from it untill you get presure. if you are just useing the pedal to try and get fluid down to them, you may be sucking air in and blowing it back out. basically the fluid is going nowere. again, try pulling the fluid all the way down with a vacume pump. this will put fluid in the system everywere, and from there you can see if you have any leaks.

pick up plenty of dot3 while your there. a good flush is in order if you havnt done it for a while. atleast 1 quart. i use about 1 1/2 when doing mine.

95+ XJs have a dual-diaphragm brake booster--upgrade to the later MC/booster if you want to lock up your brakes.

Back