• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Aftermarket power steering Box ???

Aussiexj96

NAXJA Forum User
Hi all,

I have done a search and come up with squat.

What aftermarket power steering boxes are on the market that bolt right up to the existing power steering system on a 96 XJ ?? (minor fluid line mods are ok).

Being in Aus and all i dont have any idea of what will be able to bolt right up without minimal mods. I want something that will bolt right in to the chassis rails, ready to go bar having to fill it with fluid etc.
My current box is held on by 3 main bolts and is a stock unit.
Something that can handel up to say 35 inch tyres with ease would be good.

Thanks all for any info :), anything else y'all might need to know please ask as i need to get an aftermarket box asap (seems even a fully rebuilt stock one cant handel the abuse i give it)

Cheers,
Aussiexj96

Last edited:
Is the steering box for a right hand drive different than for a left hand drive?

Good point John, im not sure, mine is bolted to what your guys would refer to as the passenger side chassis rail (my driver side).

EDIT:###
Thanks for the links guys but from what i can see those boxes wont work :S, need to mount to the passenger chassis rail :) (your passenger side, my drivers side)
I know, bit of an odd query but any help will be mucho appreciated, will shout yas all a beer down under ! :D

Last edited:
I have contacted Quadratech and they refered me to PSC direct. Excelent online customer service from Quadratech !!! :D. I have sent PSC a message and am awaiting their response. Will let you all know how i go.

Please, any other info would be greatly appreciated :)

Cheers,
Aussiexj96

Is the steering box for a right hand drive different than for a left hand drive?

RHD steering boxes must have a different casting with the bolt lugs on the opposite side.

I'm running this PSC box and matching pump.
http://www.pscmotorsports.com/sg621m-tj-xj-yj-xtreme-duty-steering-gear-p-88.html
I ran the new box's casting numbers through Google and found that it was originally installed in late 1980s-early 90s full-size GM cars.
Maybe you can find a LHD version of one these boxes.
It would be pricey but you could find one and ship it to PSC for rebuilding and upgrading.

You might want to check the Aussie Jeep sites and see what is available locally.
As you know, it expensive to ship heavy parts overseas.

Back