• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Time for a new radiator? I hope not...

TheVision89

NAXJA Forum User
Hi I recently bought my 98 XJ, and found that the hose going from the resevoir of coolant to my radiator is not actually attached to the radiator cap, and it doesn't just slide in like you'd expect it to.

It seems the cap is connected to the radiator and replacing the cap would be impossible without replacing the radiator, but would replacing the hose also suffice?

Can anyone direct me to a thread with info or help me with this?

Here are some pictures

I am aware that I need new coolant and if someone could tell me what to do. I think i just hose it out while the car is running and then replace the fluids. Is there anything more to it? cover anything?

dsc0083ws.jpg

dsc0080a.jpg

dsc0079ch.jpg
dsc0078stb.jpg

A rather common occurrence. People have come up with various fixes, but the upshot is that you need to find or fabricate some kind of hose barb that you can press or screw into the hole that remains. This may take a bit of creative thought, depending on what you have access to, but you'll probably have to find a small fitting and then drill and tap the hole to receive it. Either that or a piece of tubing that you can press into a precisely drilled hole. It needs to be tight and leakproof but needn't hold pressure. Last time this happened to me, I took a bolt, drilled through the center, cut the head off, and then tapped the hole to receive the stub. It worked fine, but of course for that you need some way to drill through the center of a bolt.

Hi I recently bought my 98 XJ, and found that the hose going from the resevoir of coolant to my radiator is not actually attached to the radiator cap, and it doesn't just slide in like you'd expect it to.

It seems the cap is connected to the radiator and replacing the cap would be impossible without replacing the radiator, but would replacing the hose also suffice

The cap simply screws onto the top of the radiator. It can be replaced without replacing the radiator. About a $5.00 part at any parts store.

If cooling system maintenance hasn't been kept up with, then a coolant flush/fill is highly recommended. Would also be a good idea to install an OEM 195 degree thermostat while you're at it and inspect your hoses. I like the Stant Superstat as well as thermostats purchased from Jeep.

The cap simply screws onto the top of the radiator. It can be replaced without replacing the radiator. About a $5.00 part at any parts store.

If cooling system maintenance hasn't been kept up with, then a coolant flush/fill is highly recommended. Would also be a good idea to install an OEM 195 degree thermostat while you're at it and inspect your hoses. I like the Stant Superstat as well as thermostats purchased from Jeep.

Yeah, the cap isn't the problem, the nipple for the recovery bottle hose has broken off from the neck--POS plastic tank radiators, common problem.

Number of things you can try. Short piece of aluminum/copper/brass/steel tubing, appropriate size, drill out the area of the neck and epoxy the tube in place, or do the drill/tap as described above. With the replacement you may need to use a smaller recovery hose that will fit your repair tightly (you can use a small hose/squeeze clamp), just make sure the hose that you end up with is long enough to have the recovery tank end at the bottom of the tank so it stays completely immersed in coolant at all times.

Back