• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

ZJ disc parking brake Q

yossarian19

NAXJA Forum User
Well, the cable is almost to the end of its tension and it doesn't do diddly-squat when I set the parking brake. The arms on the mounting brackets, at the axle I mean, seem to be at full throw when I set it. The damn things just don't hold the car even on a (super) shallow slope.

Before I go tearing into the thing, anyone have ideas of what is the likely culprit? Or how else to rig a parking brake so I can someday pass CA inspection?

Have you tried adjusting the shoes? It is the same as regular drums, just smaller.
and CA inspection? Never heard of such a thing, only Smog. CA doesnt care what a deathtrap your car is, as long as its not smoking.

Really? I figured CA was going to require a 900 point safety, just assumed... Score!
On adjusting the shoes... I actually converted to ZJ brakes to avoid learning to work on drums. They look like the inside of a grandfather clock to me. Oh well, time to dig in I guess...

Whats the condition of the "drum",if its got wear(same with the shoes),its going to eat travel.What year are we talking about?What cables/method of attachment did you use?

[FONT=&quot]
Well, the cable is almost to the end of its tension and it doesn't do diddly-squat when I set the parking brake. The arms on the mounting brackets, at the axle I mean, seem to be at full throw when I set it. The damn things just don't hold the car even on a (super) shallow slope.

Sounds like the cable adjustment maybe too tight and that the parking brake shoes need adjusting. Back off on the cable until the brake arms move rearward, and then adjust the brake shoes. You access the shoe adjustment through a slot at the rear of the backing plate. Use a small screwdriver to rotate the adjustment star-nut.
There is the possibility that the shoes are worn out or the brakes were never setup correctly in the first place. What method was used to connect the brake cables to the ZJ parking brakes?
If you pull off the rear wheels, calipers and rotors, the parking brakes can be examined and the adjusters and sliding points on the brake shoes lubed.[/FONT]

I used the driver's side ZJ cable and the passenger's XJ cable. I cut 3-4" of spiral sheathing off the XJ cable and bent it around the passenger's side parking brake arm thingy, securing the loop with a cable clamp. Still there a year and a half later. Rotors are the same age, 1 1/2 years.
Thanks for the help, guys.

If you are using the complete ZJ setup, the actuator and lever(brake arm thingy) may be rusted together. There is the lever that the cable pulls on and an actuator that the lever has to swivel on. If they are rusted together, the lever and actuator move as a unit and will not apply the e-brake properly. I have a '98 ZJ and tried adjusting the cable to no avail. I tried adjusting the e-brake shoes and either they would be loose so the rotor would turn, or tight so nothing would turn. there was no spot where pulling on the e- brake lever would make it work properly. Problem is, with the two pieces rusted together, it cocks to one side and does not really move the shoes. The only way (for me) to get the rusted together parts out is going to be removing the axle shafts. There is not enough clearance to wiggle it out between the backing plate and the flange on the axle shaft, and I was not able get it to swivel free enough to get it to work. HTH.

Last edited:
Back