• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

radiator upgrade HELP!

core132

NAXJA Forum User
I have an 87 cherokee that is over heating.
A fellow friend of mine directed me to this forum to ask for help.

does anyone have a good link to a cooling system upgrade for my 87 xj.

and does anyone know what parts i can get off other jeeps in a junk yard since i am on a budget n need to get this xj on the road.
if it helps they have cherokee's from 91-99.

Start with a full flush and clean, then check the fan clutch, then the thermostat, then see how it does. All of this is assuming you don't have tuning issues that are causing you to overheat.

The previos owner did all that already n my nieghbor told me it might also have to do something with the cooling system being closed n not open so any help would be cool

The previos owner did all that already n my nieghbor told me it might also have to do something with the cooling system being closed n not open so any help would be cool
If your pressure bottle is not holding pressure then that is likely the problem. I have seen many vehicles overheat simply because the radiator cap gets worn out and won't hold the rated pressure. If you want better parts, then a 3 row copper brass radiator is better and an all aluminum is best. Stick with the stock fan and either a new clutch or a solid mount. An open system conversion is also highly recommended because the pressure bottles never seem to last long.

Yeah man jeeperjohn is right. Try replacing the radiator cap.
If that does not work i sugges upgrading to an open system radiator.
I got mine for 130 bucks lifetime at auto zone. It is well worth the upgrade. Just tell auto zone its a 91 cherokee. This bolts right in!

my friend owns a '90 cherokee with a closed system, and he's starting to have problems.

my suggestion is to buy an open system radiator, and convert the bottle, and replace your heater lines with regular hoses, instead of the special tapped over flow hoses.... when you get a new radiator, be sure to get a 2 core aluminum.

Edit: dont go to autozone. get a quality one online.

every part ive bought from autozone has failed me.

Closed system cooling systems do not have a radiator cap.

There are no data confirming open system > closed system.

For a pressure cap on the closed system use a Stant Volvo 740 2.3L style cap for $8.95, #10244. Works way better than OEM or any other aftermarket caps and has a lower profile to it isn't impacting the hood and that promotes cracking of the pressure bottle.

Question for the OP: be more descriptive of your overheating problem.

Back