• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Steering interfering with sway bar mounts

camarors8992

NAXJA Forum User
I replaced my steering box this past weekend and I noticed as I got close to full lock either left or right my tie rod was hitting the axle mount for the sway bar.

Photo0724-1.jpg

How can I fix this ? I'm guessing it's because the tie rod is a larger diameter than a stock piece. Could it be as simple as a grinder to the mount, and maybe weld a gusset onto the side to make sure it's still strong enough ?

[FONT=&quot]
I replaced my steering box this past weekend and I noticed as I got close to full lock either left or right my tie rod was hitting the axle mount for the sway bar.

How can I fix this ? I'm guessing it's because the tie rod is a larger diameter than a stock piece. Could it be as simple as a grinder to the mount, and maybe weld a gusset onto the side to make sure it's still strong enough ?

I used a torch to heat the sway bar bracket until it was red and then bent it upward to provide clearance on the passenger side. It only took a little bit of bending to clear the ZJ tie rod end.
The ultimate cure is to replace the sway bar brackets with longer ones, especially when going to an OTK steering.
http://jeep-xj.info/HowtoOTKSwaybarBrackets.htm[/FONT]

I'll try a little bending like you say first, I just got new sway bar links for my lift height, and they'd be worthless if I moved the mount higher.

Back