• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Bastard child.... The 1996 XJ

96XJ_4.0

NAXJA Forum User
I can't find any info about installing a 97+ overhead console into my 96.

All the info I find is from 91-95 or 97-99 or 99-01 overhead consoles but not 96!

Seems to be the same for upgrades.

I have an obd2 right? So what other differences on top of the body style changes?

TIA

What were major differences between the years?

Functional differences...if any?

Are you saying follow a 95 wiring diagram for 97+ or does it not really matter?

What were major differences between the years?

Functional differences...if any?

Are you saying follow a 95 wiring diagram for 97+ or does it not really matter?

No. I'm saying a 1995 manual should cover the chassis and powertrain & engine mechanicals, but you'll want 1996 wiring diagrams. It would be reasonable to presume that the wiring was shuffled somewhat yet again to go with the new body style for 1997.

Transition years like this are best served with the correct manual - not a lot of "fudge factor" available sometimes.

Thru the years of experince with my 96,"it,s like a box of chocolates ". Have found wire ends for pre 96 and post 97..
O2 sensor wiring comes to mind and sensor plugs on the TB. Then again it may have to do with the build date.

Wayne

There's a 96 fsm and a supplement fsm for all the midyear changes(supposedly 5/96, but you know how Jeep does it--whatever part is laying around gets used). Midyear changes that I note are the completely different connectors which are 97+ style, thus once you make a note, you'll start buying 97 sensors, cause the 96 sensors will be hit or miss. The seatbelt receivers changed, the overhead lights, and most important: the 29-spline 8.25". I love 96s and the obd2(wasn't sure when I first got it). 94-96 are my favorite Jeep years.

i love my 96 but i do remember it was a pain in the ass trying to get a new map sensor for it!

i have a friend that works at a napa store and he ordered in 3 diff sensors and none of them were correct for my app, so i ended up getting one from the dealer.

gotta love the bastard childs. lol!

the electrical changed mid-year 95 as well. TPS/CPS connectors have apps listed for both OBD I and OBD II harnesses.

You probably won't be able to get fuel economy/other stuff aside from temp/compass working on the 97+ OHC.

Other things that are wacky on 96 - the fuel pump / level sender assembly is one of a kind, it goes into the 95 down tank but fits the 96 up fuel delivery system (i.e. fuel pressure regulator at the tank instead of on the rail) and the level sender is entirely different from 95-down and 97-up.

EDIT: I like 95s and 96s. I don't like the 94 down steering column design, and I like to have an airbag because it lowers my insurance rates significantly.

Yeah... it's a beautiful thing, check the price on a full 96 fuel pump assembly sometime! Sit down first though. Back before I even knew a Cherokee was an XJ, I picked up a '97 gas tank and pump assembly and made it work in my 96 because I didn't want another steel tank to rust out. Aside from the fuel gauge getting it all working was surprisingly easy. My fuel gauge is way off now (reads 1/2 tank when full, and empty when there is less than half a tank) but otherwise I have no complaints.

here are a few changes from 96 yo 97 and up: different body styling, thicker door gaskets,dash+ interior changes, late 99 and up had the newer style updated intake manifold and probabley a few other things that I'm missing...

96 got the new seat mounts for the front seats too IIRC

Pretty sure that changed in 95 actually. I'd have to check.

Back