• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rotated Housings and gear oil quantity

ryanlight415

NAXJA Forum User
Hi Everybody, I have a 98 xj 4.0 5spd. I recently re- geared to 4.56's and detroit lockers front and rear to turn 33's. They are dana 30 front and chrysler 8.25 rear. I have 6 degree shims in the rear to point my cv rear driveshaft at the transfer case and adjustable control arms in the front so my front driveshaft is lined up too. (6.5 inch lift) This of course rotates the axle housings and lowers the filler plugs. I am running through my 500 mile break in period on the new gears with the stock diff covers but have ordered an ARB cover for the front and A Riddler cover for the rear which both have dramatically elevated filler plugs. These are to be installed after 500 mile gear oil change.
The question is how much oil to put in? The ARB filler plug is damn near the top of the cover, and the riddler is pretty high to. The detroit's take up a little more space than open carriers. Alldata (somedata) says
181 FBI 1.48 L (3.13 pts.)

8 1/4 2.08 L (4.4 pts.)
with TRAC-LOK include 4 oz. friction modifier

SO... do i put in said amounts or do I add a little more considering its a little harder for the ring gears to fling the oil up on the pinion bearings? Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Run the factory spec. If you over-fill, it can blow out the axle seals. 6deg. won't cause an oiling problem.

Back