• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Distributor indexing: how to find compression stroke

stockli

NAXJA Forum User
I have been searching and have not read on definitive guide on indexing the dist in a RENIX jeep.

I understand you rotate motor to 0 TDC and set the rotor to just before #1 post (leading edge of #1 post), but how do you make sure you are on the compression stroke? Dont tell me I have to pull the valve covers and look that would be a terrible pain since I just finished the head replacement and have that all buttoned up now.

Can anyone tell me or link me to a definitive guide?

Maybe I can rotate the motor by hand and watch to see how the old dist (non renix dist) lines up to make sure its on compression?

Thanks for the help in advance guys!!

If you have a compression gauge then you can tell by watching the needle rise as the piston comes up. You can use your thumb over the plug hole to feel for air escaping the cylinder. You could use the TDC timing mark on the harmonic balancer.

Thanks!

Duh! I had a brain fart and didnt think to use my tumb to feel for compression.

Sometimes I am an idiot!

Thanks again!

If you have a compression gauge then you can tell by watching the needle rise as the piston comes up. You can use your thumb over the plug hole to feel for air escaping the cylinder. You could use the TDC timing mark on the harmonic balancer.

50/50 on that. :D

I believe you are correct cruiser, unless renix indexing is different than HO indexing. I'm on my first afternoon cup of coffee.

OK so FINALLY got the crappy etorx bolt ground down and got the bad heart out and the new heart in!! YAY!!!

I assume when you say trailing you mean slightly past (clockwise) #1 post, right? We found that the dist only wants to settle all the way down at certain points and that was one of them lol. Are we talking the middle of the rotor contact or the trailing edge of the contact?

BTW anyone know the best place to order bolts, especially engine mount bolts, from?

The trailing edge of the rotor should be .020" or less past the distributor cap terminal. You need a cap with a window cut out of it to do this. You probably will have to remove the lugs on the bottom of the distributor to get the indexing correct.

Im dense!

When you say cap terminal, we are referring to the terminal for #1 correct?

Yes--just past #1 terminal. You can mark the distributor base at terminal #1 or as suggested, cut a window in an old distributor(assuming it's exactly the same)on the side below the #1 terminal.

Back