• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

2002 242j

Maybe have an extra sensor, but yes it should.

2002 would be a grand cherokee, not a cherokee, right?

thats what i am figuring, i found it on craigs and i am going to find out what rig and engine it came out of. I already messed up and bought a t-case that wont work wrong splines dont need the same problems.

Well got the case, had to change the yoke, and all 6 studs cause the studs were to short, and the speedo is not gear drivin so i wont have a speedo no more lol but it will work and i hope it will be better than my last. i will hopefully have drive lines and everything else bolted up tomorrow will let know how it gos.

I thought that the later models were electronic? May have to swap out the tail cone?

on this 242j is the 4wheel drive sector the same when you have the lever all the way forward is it in 2wd then back one in 2part, then one more back 2full then one more back N, then one more 4low?

The 242's have three 4x4 modes. 4 part time that is what you would use for high range offroad, 4 full time that is sort of like an all wheel drive car or SUV it splits the power to the front and rear drive shafte i am not sure or the ratio but it puts more to the rear. and then of course 4 low is 4 low for most of your offroad driving.hope that make a bit of sense

yes thank, but i what i meant was on the 242j where should the lever be for all of those, And so i installed it put fluid in it and put the rubber deal over the output shaft, now i took it out and idk where to shift to have it in 4x4 or 2wheel, and then the rubber thing got ate up and fluid stated to leak and there is a popping still somewhere under me and so its back in the shop. and basically im screwed cause i have no clue what is going on.

Shift pattern is like this, starting with the lever all the way forward.

2wd
. |
4PT
. |
4FT
. |
.N--
..../
.../
4LO

ok well tomorrow hopefully i can get it figured out, and another thing on the tail shaft the black rubber thing does that create the seal needed over the rear bearing? or what seals off the bearing so no fluid comes out?

ok well tomorrow hopefully i can get it figured out, and another thing on the tail shaft the black rubber thing does that create the seal needed over the rear bearing? or what seals off the bearing so no fluid comes out?
Its called an output shaft seal, runs you about 10-15, make sure you specify if its your t-case or 4wd housing on your transmission

The early models sealed the driveshaft slipyoke at the driveshaft and the later models were sealed in the transfercase and used a dust boot for the slip yoke. The easiest would be to either change the tail cone and output shaft so that you also have a speedo, or you could get a later model driveshaft.

ok well my t-case is bad, and the front driveline is no good and now i am going to pull front driveline and run what i think is 2wheel cause through all the linkages the front driveline still moves the same speed as the rear line

Back