• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Lunch Box locker front or back first

offrd3

NAXJA Forum User
what do you guys think put a lunch box locker in the front or back first? what would be more beneficial and less noticeable on the street?

less noticeable on the street would be the front. I have an aussie up front and you would never know its there in 2wd. More beneficial for wheeling thats a toss up, lock them both, then theres no debate. If you are going lunchbox either way though lock the front first.

what would be the down time between installs? like gradys said front would be less noticeable but id say the rear would be more beneficial offroad.

I've got mine in the rear. I'd say it's one of the best mods I have.

MrSimon, how about when you are going up a steep hil or over a big ledge and the Jeep is leaning way back. That front locker might be able to get the front tires up over the ledge, but when all the weight is on the back tires, that locker won't do a thing to pull you up. If you had a rear locker, it would push the front tires into the ledge enough to get traction on at least one tire to get the front up and over. Then the locker lets both rear tires climb the ledge to get the whole rig up and over.

But yeah, search.

I've got mine in the rear. I'd say it's one of the best mods I have.

MrSimon, how about when you are going up a steep hil or over a big ledge and the Jeep is leaning way back. That front locker might be able to get the front tires up over the ledge, but when all the weight is on the back tires, that locker won't do a thing to pull you up. If you had a rear locker, it would push the front tires into the ledge enough to get traction on at least one tire to get the front up and over. Then the locker lets both rear tires climb the ledge to get the whole rig up and over.

But yeah, search.

LoL, this is such a timely question its scary. Just yesterday I was sitting on a very steep hill trying to get up over the lip onto the flat section. Currently I'm locked in the rear and open in the front (still haven't run the air line to the front ARB) and I couldn't get up over the lip. Had the front been locked, I would have gotten over no problem.

Sure, there are times when a rear is better, and times when a front is better .... but if you have to pick one, I think front first is the way to go. If for nothing else, the fact that you can't feel it in 2WD - nice for a DD.

no kidding...

How's the sidewall on your rear right tire looking BTW? It looked like you bounced that one off the big rock you had trouble with quite a few times.

Depends where you are riding. Rocks crawling front first. Sand,mud, and dirt Rear first. If you have the np 242 you can not use the full time drive option. Np 231 your still good. Little hard to turn on 4 wheel drive though when lockers are on the front.

Last edited:
I vote no lunch box locker at all, it'll just break. Ask me how I know.

how do you know?

I had an aussie locker in my d44 front for 3? years... broke ~10 shafts... 5 or 6 of which were alloys...

never had a problem with the locker... Ba-Riedo is now the owner of the axle and is the cure of death for that axle and aparently one of the springs broke... but it still works?

If Aussie made a 35 spline locker for a Ford 9 - I'd have 2 of them... but they dont... only option is a full detroit for the new axles...

FRONT FIRST

Strait out of the aussi manual

"A front installation will usually yield the greatest improvement in off-road capability. This is due to the general requirement of increased in traction under hill climbing or rock crawling. Under full climbing conditions, due to the angle of the vehicle, the rear wheels carry a much greater weight (weight transfer) and therefore, the front carries less weight and tends to break traction very easily.

Once one front wheel starts to spin the other wheel stops turning and the whole front diff ceases to provide traction. At this point the load is transferred to the rear diff as if the vehicle was a 2WD and due to the increased load the rear wheels tend to spin and the vehicle stops. If you can stop the front wheel from spinning you have solved the traction problem. In addition to the traction performance a front installation does not introduce any changes in handling characteristics."

I second the 242 question.
The 242 has an open differential in full time meaning it splits the torque front to rear as an open axle transfers power left to right. Why would you say you would loose the full time function? The front locker will lock up and it will not steer as well as it did without lockers but would not loose full time function.
The 231 is like the 242 but it only has a part time function.

Which is better front or rear locker all depends what obstacle you are on.
If you want to drive a lot on the road do the front first like everyone said it will act like an open diff until you apply power to it so as long as it is in 2wd you wont notice a difference.
Don't be fooled by the name a auto locker locks up every time you hit the gas so if it is in the rear it will lock up for every sharp corner/parking lots etc.

They are both easy to install no special tools needed the carrier can stay in the axle. C-clips are fun to snake into place but that's about it.

One option if your going cheep or compete in rock crawling that only allows 1 locker, go with a the front locker and split your e-brake so 2 e-brake levers left and right when one breaks traction just apply the brake.

Good luck let us know what you choose either way you will be happy.
~Justin

Let me be more specific. You lose the full time option on dry pavement. You can still put it on full time drive. But you can not drive it pass 20 mph like you were able to before the locker. The reason for the NP 242 is the ability to drive in full time drive in the freeway and street. Because of the ability to turn. I have the np242. I am lock on the front with an E-Locker. Its selectable. The minute I turn my front locker on. I can even make a normal turn on the street in full time drive. Old thread. Been talk about over and over again. heres 1 of the links again.
http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1011776&highlight=front+locker+242&page=2

Aussie locker in the rear is a pain for a dd but on the trail you will not need 4wd as often. Locker in the front is invisable in 2wd and a pain to steer at times in 4wd.

how do you know?

I had an aussie locker in my d44 front for 3? years... broke ~10 shafts... 5 or 6 of which were alloys...
This seems to be the most common experience i have come across. i know many people that run aussie's that never have issues. what i've seen with my eyes is going to take alot more then that post to change my opinion. they seem to be the best $250 you can spend on a budget build

I constantly LOL at guys saying how hard it is to DD a Jeep with a rear locker. I've put 30k miles on my Jeep with the rear no-slip locker installed and never had a single issue. Through sun, rain, sand and over 2 feet of snow.

Back