• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

O-rings for brake fittings?

HenryKrinkle

NAXJA Forum User
I'm guessing that fittings in the brake system do not use o-rings, correct? I'm putting in a new 96 master cylinder and booster in the 88 and just want to do it right the first time. So, fittings that are brass into steel or steel to steel just need to be tightened down nice and shouldn't need anything else?

I've read a couple write-ups, but none specified this. Any other tips for this job would be very helpful too...

Thanks-

There are no orings on the fittings, just a flared tube
You do not need anything else, Especially no teflon tape!!!

Here is an article about making new lines, but it does have a few photos

http://www.classictrucks.com/tech/0501cl_brake_line_basics/index.html

Make sure you start threading the fittings in by hand, only. Try to get 3-4 complete threads engaged before using a wrench. Do not crossthread the fitting, it make take you a minute, and some cursing.

I prefer to reattach the brake lines before tightening the mounting hardware, it makes aligning the fittings easier when you can manipulate both the cylinder and fitting

No O-rings, but if you are changing the rubber hoses at the calipers, there will be a copper 'crush washer' on either side of the banjo bolt where it goes through the hose and into the caliper. Anyway, why I bring it up is that you do not want to re-use the old ones. Calipers and hoses usually come with a set new ones.

Back