• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

BOR leafs, and RE boomerang or HDOR relocation brackets?

nochance9

NAXJA Forum User
Hey, trying to settle on some suspension components for my 01. I know i want the BOR 4" flex-e leafs. But what i am wavering about is either having the RE boomerang shackle or the HD off road relocation brackets. I want to keep the total amount of lift as low as possible so having both is out of the question as it would give me about 6.5" of lift.

So i guess the main question here is, would i get more suspension travel from the longer RE shackle or the HDOR relocation brackets?

Another thing i'm worried about is how much lift the BOR springs actually give. I've read that they give about an inch more lift than they are rated for. Does anyone have experience with these? I've read nothing but good things, but only a few people mention about the lift being higher than advertised.

Side notes, i'm planning on 35's in the future and i have ACOS up front so if i were to get the relocation brackets my ride hight would be adjustable to a point. Right now i have RE 4.5" leaves and an unidentified 1/2" lift shackle (might be 1") and will be putting the old RE leaves on my 89 which needs leaves pretty bad. (leaning to one side and a shot bushing). I have the RE boomerang shackle on my 89 and love it! i've just heard lots of great things about the HDOR stuff i'm interested in buying and supporting these guys.

Thanks for your input.

in my opinon the hdor kit flexes like crazy and really needs a ladder bar but its worth it. boomerangs are nice too but wont flex as well. so i would use the shackle you have with the hd kit and get a smaller leaf pack (re 3.5" or rusty's 3")

So i guess the main question here is, would i get more suspension travel from the longer RE shackle or the HDOR relocation brackets?

Do you mean HDOR relocation brackets with stock shackles? A stock shackle will only limit the travel of your lifted leaves.

I would recommend the shackle boxes for the 45 degree shackle angle they provide. Does your 01 see the road? I noticed a difference in the onroad ride after I installed a pair of these.

I vote the relocation brackets and a five to four inch shackle.

Check out the customer rig featured on BIGoffroad's home page. He's running the BOR 4" FlexE's and a 1" rear shackle and figures he's at about 5.5" of overall lift and in talking to him, that was right after installing the leafs. He's running 33" tires and it looks very nicely set up.

Yes, for the most part, the 4" FlexE's end up with about 1" lift over advertised when paired with the appropriate 1" shackle. Sometimes a bit more if the rig is light weight in the back.

The other question you need to ask about your proposed setup is how much stuff you'll routinely run around with in the cargo area of your rig. A lot of the final ride height depends on if you have a beefy rear bumper with tire/tire carrier, spares, roof rack with accessories, etc.

My experience has been that if you intend to run 35" tires, 4" leaf packs with a 1" shackle will likely not be quite enough lift unless you plan to remove the flares and trim up the fender lip. If you're planning on cutting/trimming, then this set up will work fine.

The nice thing about the shackle relocation kit is that you can adjust the rear ride height a little anyway.

:thumbup:

For reference: This rig is on 33's with trimming.

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showpost.php?p=244549138&postcount=10

I would recommend the shackle boxes for the 45 degree shackle angle they provide. Does your 01 see the road? I noticed a difference in the onroad ride after I installed a pair of these.

I vote the relocation brackets and a five to four inch shackle.

It is a DD, so it sees a lot of road. And i like a nice soft ride for my bum. That's one of the main reasons i'm deciding to go with the BOR springs.

So that's one vote for the brackets.

Check out the customer rig featured on BIGoffroad's home page. He's running the BOR 4" FlexE's and a 1" rear shackle and figures he's at about 5.5" of overall lift and in talking to him, that was right after installing the leafs. He's running 33" tires and it looks very nicely set up.

Yes, for the most part, the 4" FlexE's end up with about 1" lift over advertised when paired with the appropriate 1" shackle. Sometimes a bit more if the rig is light weight in the back.

The other question you need to ask about your proposed setup is how much stuff you'll routinely run around with in the cargo area of your rig. A lot of the final ride height depends on if you have a beefy rear bumper with tire/tire carrier, spares, roof rack with accessories, etc.

My experience has been that if you intend to run 35" tires, 4" leaf packs with a 1" shackle will likely not be quite enough lift unless you plan to remove the flares and trim up the fender lip. If you're planning on cutting/trimming, then this set up will work fine.

The nice thing about the shackle relocation kit is that you can adjust the rear ride height a little anyway.

:thumbup:

For reference: This rig is on 33's with trimming.

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showpost.php?p=244549138&postcount=10

I've already got 33's and a set of rusty's flex flares on my 01, so the trimming is already done. I know i will have to bump stop for 35's but i'm cool with that.

This is how she sits now, for reference.

IMG_4041.jpg

And here's my 89, with 4.5" springs and the RE shackle and 35's.

IMG_3981.jpg

Right now it doesn't have any weight in the back and stock bumpers front and rear. So i would probably see extra lift at first, but i'm in the middle of designing a rear bumper and we've got a set of 12" subs just sitting at my house ready to go in...

So i'm starting to think that the relocation brackets are a better option for me knowing that i will be changing the weight of my jeep front and rear, but at separate times. Also the adjusting ability of them will allow me to play with the ride hight with every change, bumper, spare tire, rack, 35's, which are all in the future plans.

I've also read the the BOR leafs are a bit longer than the normal lift springs, which is why they suggest a boomerang shackle. So the brackets would help adjust for that as well...

Thanks for all your input guys, it's really helped! :)

That is mine. That picture was taken on Poughkeepsie after climbing the wall. I have also run Fins-N-Things and Elephant hill with it loaded to the gills with camping equipment and spare gas for four days of back country exploration. I had a set of RE springs before these and killed them in about a year and a half. In April the BORs will be 4 years old and they are like new(well, maybe a little more flex-e). The leaves with the 1" shackles has worked flawlessly!

I run both the shackle relocation and the RE shackles.

I made mine before HDORE designed their kit.

A good set of leaves really needs both to flex. Dont be afraid to cut the brand new center pin out and take one of the springs out of the pack either...

Dont be afraid to cut the brand new center pin out and take one of the springs out of the pack either...

I am very afraid to do that actually... Not that i don't think i could do it, cause i've broke spring packs apart before, but i'm a little timid to putting it back together without all it's original parts. Idk, just uncomfortable with it for some reason.

I mean i'd love to run both, don't get me wrong. Maybe it's just new to me and that's why i'm scared.

I run both the shackle relocation and the RE shackles.

I made mine before HDORE designed their kit.

A good set of leaves really needs both to flex. Dont be afraid to cut the brand new center pin out and take one of the springs out of the pack either...

X2 I run the relocators and TnT 1" boomerangs!

like said earlier, run something like a 3-3.5" leaf, 1" lift shackle, and the relocation brackets. im running that exact set up and it works great.

I am trying to figure out my rear as well. It doesn't seem to have a flexing problem like my other cherokees but I wanna be sure so I am thinking about swapping out my leafs for the relocation kit and some smaller lift leaves. I currently have rustys leaves and shackles for around 8" of lift I think. I bought it this way so I am not extremely sure but I don't like the straight up and down shackle angle I have.

like said earlier, run something like a 3-3.5" leaf, 1" lift shackle, and the relocation brackets. im running that exact set up and it works great.

Only problem i have with that is i'd miss out on the BOR springs which I've been drooling over for a while now... But i suppose it's not out of the question. I've decided that i'll get the relocation brackets and run it for a while till i have enough money to start thinking about the next step. Be it shackles or whatever. I just measured the shackles on my jeeps right now and my 89 RE boomerang ones measure 6" while the unidentified ones on my 01 measure 4 3/4" incase that helps anyone understand my scenario a bit better.

Also isn't the whole reason for the boomerang design so that you won't smash up your stock shackle box? So the relocation brackets would make that a useless design, that i'd have to pay more for. Right? If i run the relocation brackets, i could get away with a straight shackle. Correct me if i'm wrong.

That is correct, you may have to clearance the box once you have every thing set the way you want it. A simple notch is ussualy enough.

Back