• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Tube frame titling?

Your best bet would be to contact the DMV. Since you're asking the question in an XJ forum, one would assume the build is based on an XJ. Titling should be done off the VIN of the donor vehicle, though I think a certain percentage of the original vehicle needs to remain.

I just put it on here to see if any local guys in the area have done this before! I was planning on building a complete tube frame and using a chevy 1ton for drivetrain and running gear. So there wouldnt be any vin an anything that i will be using. I have heard that you can get a homebuilt vehicle titled I just wasnt sure on how difficult it was as far as dmv is concerned. I have read some info from the dmv site but would like some info from someone thats done it.

yeah i thought about doing that it might be my best bet! Is it true you dont have to be titled and registered to wheel at the ohv parks you just have to have an ohv permit and insurance?

yeah i thought about doing that it might be my best bet! Is it true you dont have to be titled and registered to wheel at the ohv parks you just have to have an ohv permit and insurance?
No that has to be false, how are you supposed to insure something that does not have a resale value acknowledged by a credited source?

No that has to be false, how are you supposed to insure something that does not have a resale value acknowledged by a credited source?

I have insured "grey market" vehicles before that didn't come up in any computer searches, I also registered them even though the numbers were in the wrong places and didn't match any systems they had also.

The DMV rules change all the time, so the initial registration process will likely be different than when I have been through it, but the insurance part should be relatively easy (all they really want is your money).

If you talk to the DMV they should be able to provide you with the process and timeline for what you want to do as well as the records you should keep in the build process to make the process easier.

Michael

Back