• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

'97+ Heated seat switch illumination

casm

NAXJA Forum User
Decided to spend the afternoon cleaning up the rat's nest of wiring I'd created behind the centre dash bezel installing various items, and I think I may have knocked out the dimmer signal to the heated seat switches. Are they supposed to remain at a constant brightness? I really don't remember if they dimmed with the rest of the instruments or not, so a sanity check before I go tearing things apart again would be appreciated.

My fog, rear defogger do not dim when the lights are on or off, they stay the same brightness when on, I assume the seat heater light would be the same.

RichP said:
My fog, rear defogger do not dim when the lights are on or off, they stay the same brightness when on, I assume the seat heater light would be the same.

Strange, because my fog light and defroster switch both dim, as do the rear wiper and extended idle :)

casm said:
Strange, because my fog light and defroster switch both dim, as do the rear wiper and extended idle :)

Hmmm, normally they are both off until you turn the parking lights on at which point the trip meter dims as well as the factory radio [which I replaced with the jensen bt head unit so it does not dim the radio anymore that I can notice]. You dont have drls do you ?

RichP said:
Hmmm, normally they are both off until you turn the parking lights on at which point the trip meter dims as well as the factory radio [which I replaced with the jensen bt head unit so it does not dim the radio anymore that I can notice].

Oh, wait, I see what you're saying now. Let me clarify what mine do:

- Headlamps off, switches are not illuminated.

- Headlamps / parking lights on, all switches illuminate; console and odometer dim.

- Rotate dimmer switch with headlamps or parking lights on, all switches dim EXCEPT for the heated seat switches.

You dont have drls do you ?

Nope. Not a Canuckistani model ;)

casm said:
Oh, wait, I see what you're saying now. Let me clarify what mine do:
- Headlamps off, switches are not illuminated.
- Headlamps / parking lights on, all switches illuminate; console and odometer dim.
- Rotate dimmer switch with headlamps or parking lights on, all switches dim EXCEPT for the heated seat switches.
Nope. Not a Canuckistani model ;)

OK gotcha, there must be two bulbs in the switches, one that lights up the little rectangular light on the switch and another that lights up the little picture on the switch. Never paid it much mind till now and it's dark enough to see it go dim and bright with the dimmer. My fog switch does it too and that was the XJ add on fog light kit from the factory. So I'd say yes the dimmer does brighten and dim the little picture on the switch but not the indicator light that tells you the switch is on...

RichP said:
So I'd say yes the dimmer does brighten and dim the little picture on the switch but not the indicator light that tells you the switch is on...

Right - which is what I'd expect the seat heaters to do as well, only they aren't. For some reason, they're staying at a constant illumination. My memory is that they dimmed and brightened with the others, but I wanted a sanity check before potentially chasing down a nonexistent problem.

Looks like I'll be tearing the dash and console apart again anyway this weekend - damn intermittent connection in the CB wiring is back, so I should really stop jerry-rigging it and fix it for good.

Do you mean dimming WITH the dimmer switch, or dimming when headlights are activated?

I'm only responding from my older 95.......nothing dims when headlights are on, just because nothing is LED like the odometer. And i have an aftermarket stereo that has a dimming button built in......so sorry if I'm using 95 information for a newer XJ!

nylyon said:
Mine don't dim either on an 01.

Thanks - two confirmations are good enough for me.

Also, door window switches don't dim either.

Yup, they're always-on and at a constant level. I'll chalk this one up to my largely-useless memory.

I forgot to ask while we are this topic; I noticed that in addition to not dimming, mine doesn't shut off with the headlight switch. It's always on (illuminated) with the ignition on. Is everyone elses the same?

casm said:
Yup, they're always-on and at a constant level. I'll chalk this one up to my largely-useless memory.

Unless you're one of the many like me who are fighting the lock out switch problem, in which case they go on and off when they want, and work accordingly. Makes it easy for me to be able to tell my passengers yes or no when they ask "can I roll my window down?"

99XJSPORT06 said:
Unless you're one of the many like me who are fighting the lock out switch problem, in which case they go on and off when they want, and work accordingly.

Annoyingly, my '01 never had that problem - but the 2000 does. The seat switches are also similarly-temperamental on both sides.

Makes it easy for me to be able to tell my passengers yes or no when they ask "can I roll my window down?"

My usual response: "Sure, try it, you might be surprised at the results..."

Acording to the FSM for a 2000 the illumination is LED, and doesn't dim. Also looks to be illuminated when ever the ingnition is on. Seat won't heat unless the ambient temp is below 32*. On that note I thought only 00/01's had the heated option.

scoobyxj said:
Acording to the FSM for a 2000 the illumination is LED, and doesn't dim. Also looks to be illuminated when ever the ingnition is on.
Thanks. :cheers:

scoobyxj said:
On that note I thought only 00/01's had the heated option.
I've got all the XJ dealership sales brochures from 97-01 and 99 shows it as the first year offered & only on the Limited. That's where my set came from.

scoobyxj said:
Acording to the FSM for a 2000 the illumination is LED, and doesn't dim. Also looks to be illuminated when ever the ingnition is on.

Sweet, thanks. Exactly what I wanted to hear.

Seat won't heat unless the ambient temp is below 32*.

Nope; mine can be switched on at any temperature. It's actually rather nice to be able to do that if my back's screwed up and I know I'm about to be stuck in traffic for a long period of time.

I find this thread offensive, beneath my attention and the fact that you all are trouble shooting BUTT WARMERS in a jeep to be beyond the scope of this forum.
:D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Now if you had the cloth interiors you would not be so sensitive to a cold butt like with leather... :D

Back