• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Engine Swap

FallibleXJ

NAXJA Forum User
Okay guys, I was about to give up on my XJ after the engine died. BUT not all hope is lost :yelclap:

I am currently up in Rochester, NY and found a donor XJ:
http://rochester.craigslist.org/cto/1644394822.html

My question is this. For those that have done a motor swap, how does this work out legally. I have a 97' and this is an 2k engine. Apparently they are slightly different. CA can be a little picky about registration/inspection, so what do I need to be aware of (note, my XJ is registered in CA).

dont tell them! there close enough that a normal smog guy will never notice!

^x2 Unless you get a smog tech smart enough around jeeps to know that your 97 should have a distributor (the 2k engine was distributorless) and the square, log-style, intake - they shouldn't be able to tell the difference. Of course, you'll need to get everything running with no check codes. If your back in CA soon, I may have an engine from a 98 for you....

Won't be back in CA till end of summer, but I appreciate the offer!

How much will the swap involve? I'm assuming it won't be as simple as disconnect the old and install the new

I'm not possitive, but I'd think you would want the whole shebang - engine, ecu, ignition. There are some smarter guys on here that I'm sure will chime in. You may consider posting a swap question in a tech forum too.

just swap your acessories onto the new block, you can even use the dizzy on the new motor, there just a cap that covers the hole

x2. As long as the engine you swap in is the same year or newer (and same make or optional on your model from what I understand) it's legal.

Sounds good to me! Now to go find a good write-up on how to do it haha. Thanks all

(if anyone has a good link, I'd appreciate it)

I'm not possitive, but I'd think you would want the whole shebang - engine, ecu, ignition. There are some smarter guys on here that I'm sure will chime in. You may consider posting a swap question in a tech forum too.

I don't think you can swap the ecu. The obd-II plug-in will read the ecu vin number. If it comes back with any vin other than the car being smogged, it is an automatic fail. I think that's one of the rules.

I don't think you can swap the ecu. The obd-II plug-in will read the ecu vin number. If it comes back with any vin other than the car being smogged, it is an automatic fail. I think that's one of the rules.

aw dang

wouldn't the newer engines be MORE efficient?

Back