• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

New to Jeep and needs help

Powersmokein

NAXJA Forum User
Ok I am new to jeep just bought my 1995 Jeep Cherokee Country its 4 door 4x4 Auto and stock 3/19/10 and I like it so far but I have a few things I need to take care of and a couple things I need info on that I cant find anywhere.

First the blinker flasher relay,under the dash on the secondary fuse block is it the blue 1 or the red one that controls the blinkers ?

Secondly it looks like the axles seals on the passenger side of my rear axle are leaking pretty good,what axle do I have,how hard is it to replace them, where can I get the seals?what kinda price am I looking at?

Thirdly, my rear leafs are sagging.....bad, as I have come to find out through looking up cherokees that alot do this,Iam looking into replaceing the rear leaf packs,and shocks (probally the front coils and shocks to to try and get 2" + out of it) BUT all the little bushings for the sway bar and stuff look wore out, where can I get these bushing and how much?

Fourthly, apparently water has been leaking into the cab (just into the floor, mostly on the driver side but some other places as well) and it doesnt look to be from up around any of the windows or anything, it looked the other day like a couple droplets of water came down from the inner firewall area somewhere maybe? I dunno.

the only things I have done so far are buy the jeep, change the plugs,plug wires,cap and rotar,air filter and a couple hoses and put a trick flow throttle body spacer on it (next is a oil change and probally a trans filter change) then I'll probally get a a CAI, build my DIY lift (with new shocks),find a slip yoke eliminator, new tires and wheels,a exhaust system,a chip and then more stuff as I figure out what else I can do to it.

1. I believe its the one on the right. But if one works and one doesn't, you can always swap them and see which one does what.
2. Is it the axle seals or your brake wheel cylinders?
3. I would say go with some OME 2" Med or heavy-duty leafs, maybe a taller shackle. For the front either V8 ZJ Upcountry coils/extra coil isolator.
4. There is a drain tube that runs down to the frame rail area, maybe it is clogged.
If you have a NAPA auto aprts near you, but your filters and stuff NOW, until the end of the month (few days) They have 40$ off their "gold" filters. You may want to get a new fuel filter as well. It is located on driver side inside frame rail near the tire.

1. I believe its the one on the right. But if one works and one doesn't, you can always swap them and see which one does what.
2. Is it the axle seals or your brake wheel cylinders?
3. I would say go with some OME 2" Med or heavy-duty leafs, maybe a taller shackle. For the front either V8 ZJ Upcountry coils/extra coil isolator.
4. There is a drain tube that runs down to the frame rail area, maybe it is clogged.
If you have a NAPA auto aprts near you, but your filters and stuff NOW, until the end of the month (few days) They have 40$ off their "gold" filters. You may want to get a new fuel filter as well. It is located on driver side inside frame rail near the tire.
ok so just try both relays and see which one makes them work gotcha.can I get them at NAPA ? also what is the little metal canister looking relay under the dash that gets hot ?I was told its somthing like a automatic headlight shutoff?

looks like the axle seals cause its not brake fluid.
Iam looking at going with V8 grand cherokee coils up from and trying to find a set of leafs from a junk yard for the back unless I HAVE to buy new leafs (tight on cash)
where is the drain tube ?and how would it get clogged?whats it for??

Fourthly, apparently water has been leaking into the cab (just into the floor, mostly on the driver side but some other places as well) and it doesnt look to be from up around any of the windows or anything, it looked the other day like a couple droplets of water came down from the inner firewall area somewhere maybe? I dunno.
i want to address for you because ive had this probem on all of my cherokees...

check your seals around the windsheild very closely. water travels, and can deposite itself in the oddest places. my seals werent all that great in one rig, and every time i got splashed over the windsheild my feet would get wet. sound odd i know, but there are plenty of channels in the dash it could take and end up on your floor. obviously this could case many problems.

also, check from the bottom up. ive found residule water in another rig (that was completely undercoated) and it turns out that its rust coming from the bottom up letting water into the carpet.

ive learned that water on the floor isnt a good thing. and expect the unexpected when trying to diagnose these problems.

i want to address for you because ive had this probem on all of my cherokees...

check your seals around the windsheild very closely. water travels, and can deposite itself in the oddest places. my seals werent all that great in one rig, and every time i got splashed over the windsheild my feet would get wet. sound odd i know, but there are plenty of channels in the dash it could take and end up on your floor. obviously this could case many problems.

also, check from the bottom up. ive found residule water in another rig (that was completely undercoated) and it turns out that its rust coming from the bottom up letting water into the carpet.

ive learned that water on the floor isnt a good thing. and expect the unexpected when trying to diagnose these problems.
for a grand Iam not gonna complain, the under side looks good little to no rust and none on the floor panels, I cant tell like I said before the window seals look good.but what should I do? replace all the window seals? put a little silacon on the inside of the window seals?

on the rear sway bar bushings bit... when you lift it don't even bother putting it back in, it's a toothpick and especially with stiffer lifted suspension you won't even notice. That, and it's a pain to bolt it back onto the tops of the leaf springs.

I pulled mine out and junked it and I haven't regretted it one bit.

also Iam looking at monroe sensa trac shocks as replacments but has anyone used monroe air ajustable shocks ?

Never used the air adjustable ones, but I helped a friend put Sensa-Tracs on his Grand Cherokee with a spacer lift, and they ride great. Very smooth, corners well, still in great shape three years later. I'm planning on going with the Sensa-Tracs when I have to do my shocks next

In case you didn't get it figured out, the flasher is the blue one, though they also sometimes come in gray. The red one is the relay and timer for the rear window defrost. Its base is the same as other relays but it's entirely different inside, and does not like to be confused with them. It should have a little tag on it to remind you of this, but you don't see it until you pull it out.

For water leaks, check around the windshield, where rust often lifts the sealant off the body flange. It can look good, and you may not see it under the gasket, but it can still leak, and also give you a cold draft. Also loose luggage rack mounts, rust out near the leading edge of the rain gutter, and rust in the bottom of the cowl vent - also make sure the cowl vent drain is clear. It can be really hard to track these leaks down sometimes, because once they get in, they can migrate a distance before they find their way out again.

Thank you for the info its very appreciated. Yea I think the leaks are gonna be a pain in the *** to find. :( but oh well Iam thinking I may remove the driver compartment carpet to keep it from holding water in and against the metal causeing premature rust.

can you get the blue flasher at NAPA or autozone ? how much ?

Back