• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Power Steering Box

Aussiexj96

NAXJA Forum User
Hi all,

Ive recently rebuilt my powersteering box and pump, re-installed and filled with the correct mopar fluid.

I have a leak comming from the box its self. Its comming from the spherical dome end with the retaining ring (front end of vehicle not the steering colum side). I may have to much fluid in the system atm.

My question is:

Can having to much fluid in the system cause it to over pressurize and push the excess out ?. OR do you guys think this is a result of the rubber o-ring not seating properly in the housing behind the cap ?.

Any ideas would be great b4 i have to possiably pull it out again (it was a PITA to get in by my self)

Cheers
AussieXJ96

the reservoir cap is supposed to release fluid if you add too much. sounds like you have a bad seal

Or ive added way to much fluid ? (as i suspect i have done, the oil lvl in the pump tank is almost touching the top of the dip-stick cap, accidentaly overfilled when re-installing and decided to see if it would settle over a few days) Or the o-ring and cap is not in properly ?.

EDIT: maybe i should rephrase; Your answer says yes to both my questions as dose Original_MudButt's quote of your response. ????????
Any suggestions appart from dropping out some fluid ? - thx for your reply tho its just a bit confusing to read :D

Last edited:
The reservoir cap on the PUMP will let excess fluid out, if the box is leaking, you have a bad seal, end of story.

Good luck, pulling the box isn't much fun.

Will be able to do this one with the box still in the car, simply unbolt from chassis rail and let it hang from steering colum (with a bit of support) and change out the o-ring in the end cap.

It was actually quite easy to rebuild the first time bar finding a new thrust bearing for the worm gear assembly. The reticulating ball bearings were fun to re-install insde the rack piston also :laugh2:

Back