• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Need help. Motor swap hangup

90XJay

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
Jeep is a 97 xj, 4.0 ax-15, with a bad motor. We currently have a good motor from a 95 auto. We were all set to put it in now but the new pilot bearring won't fit into the crank because the auto does not have that aluminum adaptor in the crank (read from the only search result here). Does anyone know a way to pull it without damaging it or know how I can get one?

Got some pictures:
Old engine:
jeeppart1.png

New engine:
jeeppart2.png

gonna be outside trying to figure it out. If u have helpful info call or text my cell 508-340-7696

Last edited:
Just reread the other topic and at least found a part number incase anyone searches for this:
5300919AB

Since it's sunday the dealership is closed. Anyone got a way to remove this from the old engine?

You can try and "hydraulic" it out.

Fill the cavity with grease, use a tight fitting hardwood dowel and a BFH, beat on the dowel until the grease forces out the spacer.

You can try and "hydraulic" it out.

Fill the cavity with grease, use a tight fitting hardwood dowel and a BFH, beat on the dowel until the grease forces out the spacer.

basically how i got the one out of the motor i was swapping in except i just used a 3/8 drive 6" extension and a socket that fit perfect. I also heated up the tailshaft with a torch and soaked it with some pb blaster, let it set for an hour, then heated the tailshaft again before whackin it.... heat the tailshaft itself not the bushing in it.

BTW correct me if i understand this wrong but are you trying to get it out of the bad motor....Why not just go to advanced auto or napa and get a new pilot bushing for the 4.0/manual tranny, when i did it came with the bearing and that "adapter". and if im not mistaken manuals have the bearing and autos only have a bushing in the tailshaft.

Last edited:
Ok so the main reason we couldn't get the sleeve out was that the previous owner had the clutch replaced and the person who put it in pushed the sleeve too far in according to our friend at a custom offroad shop. He tried many differant ways to get it out and it was stuck in there good. The pilot bushing we got from NAPA only came with the bushing not the sleeve and since it was Sunday no other place was open to get it one. We found car quest does carry a bushing and sleeve kit and will be ordering it so we can try to finish the swap this weekend. BTW Joe your idea was what the guy at the custom shop had said he would have done too had it not been pushed in too far. Great idea and wish I had thought of it. Apparently everyone knew about the greese and dowel trick except us lol.

Back