• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Dana 44 disk brake conversion

Tanker

NAXJA Forum User
Now before I catch a bunch of flack for not doing a proper search, I have looked and was unable to find a proper answer to my question.

So, I'm getting things together to build up a rear dana 44 off of an '87 XJ and want to do the disk brake mod from a ZJ.

Now, I seem to have a short supply of ZJ's in the area and was wondering if I could do the same mod with a set of '00 WJ rear disk brakes. I found a nice set in a yard here and I'd just rip off all that ABS crap. Never had it on a vehicle before and I'm not about to start now.

Now before I catch a bunch of flack for not doing a proper search, I have looked and was unable to find a proper answer to my question.

So, I'm getting things together to build up a rear dana 44 off of an '87 XJ and want to do the disk brake mod from a ZJ.

Now, I seem to have a short supply of ZJ's in the area and was wondering if I could do the same mod with a set of '00 WJ rear disk brakes. I found a nice set in a yard here and I'd just rip off all that ABS crap. Never had it on a vehicle before and I'm not about to start now.
WJ's have a different wheel bolt pattern, not sure if the rotors are the same otherwise or not.

I would like to preferably keep my ebrake.

As for the choice between ZJ and Explorer brakes, is one a stronger or better brake? The amount of work required to fit each part aside I'd rather have the better of the two. I'm inclined to believe the ZJ would give me more brake power.

Now before I catch a bunch of flack for not doing a proper search

Wonders what you have against her...

ROBERTA%20FLACK.gif

I put ZJ discs on my 8.25, then swapped them over to a 44 at a later time. It's pretty much a bolt on affair for the 8.25, on the 44 you'll either have to drill new holes in the disc brake backing plate OR drill holes in the 44 axle flanges. I've got a ton of pictures from the 8.25 swap which could help you whether you put them on an 8.25 or a 44. I also swapped over a ZJ proportioning valve, and used M.O.R.E. e-brake cables. It was important for me to keep the cables because I have an AX-15. The cables were great, but I had to lengthen the e-brake distribution block because the cables are a couple inches too long. I have a 98 so this may not be an issue on the pre-97 XJs since the e-brake distribution block is different and is in a different location. Let me know what other info you need, I'd be happy to help.

Back