• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Help installing SYE in San Diego?

BigMike80

NAXJA Forum User
Well, I didn't have any driveline vibes from installing the lift on my 01 XJ until today. I was driving up a hill on the 125 and all of a sudden it started vibrating like crazy and then blew up a U-Joint.

Guess its time to install the SYE and Front driveshaft.

Anyone wanna give me a hand tomorrow? I live in Tierrasanta.

I wont be by the computer tonight so if you feel like helping out please give me a call or txt me at 858-401-2240.

Thanks,
Mike

how much lift?

drive train?

did you check your u-joints when you did the lift?

chad

Anyone have experience installing a full SYE? I've got one person offering to help but they have done only a hack-n-tap...I'd like to hear from someone who has done the full SYE. Just in case I run into some problems.

The directions seem pretty easy to follow but they always do!

i have done a full sye on my rig. You will need a set of internal/external snap ring pliers, and a pair of lock ring pliers.

For the shims, you want the pinion yoke to point straight at the tcase, maybe minus a degree or two for axle wrap.

I haven't gotten to work on installing the SYE yet but would like to get it done this week/end.

Anyone who has installed a full SYE wanna help out? Maybe sunday?

Beer and Pizza are on me!

I could come over & stand and watch while making smartass comments, and hand you tools, but have never been involved in an SYE install. But, I do live close by!! More than happy to come over for a bit if you want an audience.

Carol six19 six54 nine758...

Thanks! Lol...I can always use someone harrassing me while Im working on the Heep.

I'm just really nervous about working on the drivetrain/transfer case without some one who has done it before.

Agreed, which is why I'm downplaying my know-how. I've participated in a couple lifts and a brake conversion & other stuff, and do my own tuneups & such; I'm not a complete loss as a helper. Just never done an SYE even though I do understand the basic concept.

Ive installed a JB supershort SYE on my 231 aw4 and 8.25. Its not that hard. Just need snap ring pliers and good ones at that. You normally do not need ANY degree shims on an 8.25 . I'm running 6" lift without them, as long as your pinion angle is pointing 3degrees below the driveshaft. Do you have the SYE and a new driveshaft yet?

The U-joint may have been on its way out...but I have the SYE and a front driveshaft sitting in the garage waiting to go in.

John thanks for the offer...but I don't think I'll be driving it to Temecula in front wheel drive. lol.

I'm gonna try to get it done on Sunday. I might be posting up questions on here as they come up.

The U-joint may have been on its way out...but I have the SYE and a front driveshaft sitting in the garage waiting to go in.

John thanks for the offer...but I don't think I'll be driving it to Temecula in front wheel drive. lol.

I'm gonna try to get it done on Sunday. I might be posting up questions on here as they come up.
I hear ya, I had to drive 200 miles back from Buttercup in front wheel drive once. It was kinda sketchy.

Heading out to start working on this finally....my schedule hasn't given me the time to do it till now. If anyone is bored and wants to lend a hand (especially if you know what you're doing...lol) give me a call.

858-401-2240

Back