• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

torque converter chatter?

ktm racer 419

NAXJA Forum User
This is a new one to me

the jeep:97 cherokee
engine:95 cherokee 130k miles
tranny:97 aw4 240k miles
torque converter:96 60k miles

I just swapped the engine in yesterday along with the lower milage torque converter (converter was run in my last cherokee without issue)

Drove the jeep around last night, put about 60 miles on it. noticed a slight vibration arrive towards the end of the night.

today i put maybe another 60 miles on the jeep and the noise/vibes got worse.

They happen in any gear/park.nuetral, under any load, sitting or driving as long as i'm between 1800-2200 rpm's.

it's almost like i'm driving down railroad tracks or a washboard.

jeep runs and drives perfectly smooth otherwise.

Took inspection plate off, checked torque converter bolts and they are tight, flywheel is not cracked. Noise is 100% coming from the bellhousing area.

When the motor was installed I made sure the torque converter was seated properly and the engine was tight against the tranny before i torqued down the bellhousing bolts.

I have done this a few times on other jeeps and never had an issue until now.

bad torque converter?

HELP!

Did you put the tc on the tranny before sticking the two together or bolt it to the flexplate?

Also - when I bought my reman torque converter they wanted the year and color code painted on it, said some are different, check your parts catalogs (if you have a set) and compare PNs, I'll check later tonight, hopefully I'll have a cell signal.

Did you put the tc on the tranny before sticking the two together or bolt it to the flexplate?

Also - when I bought my reman torque converter they wanted the year and color code painted on it, said some are different, check your parts catalogs (if you have a set) and compare PNs, I'll check later tonight, hopefully I'll have a cell signal.

yea i put the tc on the tranny first. i know its seater properly

what i have heard is that some year cherokee crankshafts have different size openings than others and the torque converters reflect that.

i might have a large crank hole and small torque converter "tit" so to speak

oh well

gives me an excuse to put my 60k mile aw4 in if this is the case

Some stuff I dug up...

crankshaft is the same 94-96 (4728 882) but new in 97 (0486 4726.)
TC is the same 94-97 (and possibly even further.)
AW4 is the same 94-96 (5300 7998) but new in 97 (5210 4210.)

Since the TC is the same 94-97 that means it *should* match 94-97 transmissions and engines, I think. I'm gonna go with that it's a bad torque converter... sad, 60k is pretty low.

I didn't bother to check if the numbers for the earlier engine/trans are superceded by the later ones, they may well be but I think it should match up anyways.

i have a thread going on another forum

but the converter was fine when it was in my last jeep/aw4.

i wonder if a bent flywheel could cause this? 3 of the holes are flush and one i need to "pull" in with the bolt maybe 1/8"

either way its all getting replaced if im in there

Back