• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Is the front drive shaft supposed to rotate when not in 4wd?

corbinxj

NAXJA Forum User
I have read a lot of post regarding front drive line vibes and have come to the conclusion that it's probably drive line angle issue because I took the front shaft out last night and no vibes.

I just want to make sure it's not a shaft out of balance. I did an axle swap and since then vibes. Fixed the angle in the rear with shims and vibes disappeared.

I have adjustable LCA's so I should be able to fix the angle pretty easy.

Thanks in advance for your help!

If it's non disco axle, Yes. it will always turn while moving since it's connected to the wheels. It's just not connected in the TC.

Check your u-joints. How big is your lift?

You didn't give your year. It rotates on most years, but the earlier ones had vacuum disconnect and those won't rotate. The vacuum disconnect is a big can (4-5" diameter????) with a vacuum hose going to it that is on the axle on the drivers side IIRC.

it's on the right side, but yeah, otherwise correct. If you have vacuum lines leading to the right side of the front axle, you have a vac disconnect one and the shaft should not turn in 2WD.

His profile lists a 98. I saw this after my post.

Yes it's a 98 with 3" lift in the front and 4" in the rear and a TC drop of 1". I'm not sure of the year the swapped D30 is but it does not have any vac lines.

No vibes previous to the swap.

Back