• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

A few questions for a 91 XJ

jeepintexas

NAXJA Forum User
I just have a few n00b questions for you all...

1.) My 91 has a ground going from the negative terminal to the inner fenderwell. Is this necessary? Is there any side effects to removing it?

2.) On the lower dash panel there are 3 relays, one is the horn relay. Can someone tell me what the other two are for? I think I remember someone saying one of them was for the signal lights or hazards.

I'm no expert, but I do know a little about your first question.

The XJ's have a lot of grounds run into the chassis, and the way for the circuit to be complete is for the negative to run back to the battery.

Now I could be wrong, (likely am) and if so I hope someone with more brains than I will chime in. (5-90 is an excellent source of electrical info...)

So, short answer; yes. It's important.

:)

There are three main grounds--battery to body, battery to engine, and engine to body. You can get rid of any one of these but you will be dependant on the quality of the other two. Electricity travels the path of least resistance.

I'm unable to visualize the relays you're speaking of at the moment, sorry

Don't remove that ground, it's probably the best one (the rest are pretty lousy) and you'll get more wacky electrical issues from it... we have enough of those.

Pretty sure the door power lock relays are under the dash, I'm not sure what the ones in the engine compartment are, joe_peters or old_man will likely know. I'd throw a WAG out there that at least one of them is the ASD relay, and the other may be the O2 heater relay? But again, I don't know all that much about the 91s yet, still poking around in mine.

Back