• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Missing a bolt to CPS. Did RMS and had to break the trans from engine..

Swampwalker3

NAXJA Forum User
So I did my rear main seal and had to pull the trans so I could tap the seal out and in doing so, I accidentally pulled one of the bolts to the cps..

When I put the trans back together and bolted up the engine oil pan and went to start the jeep, all I get is spinning. No spark, it seems. I tossed in some stating fluid to see if that would give me a sputter and no response to it.

Made sure all the connections were connected and realized the cps is missing a bolt. The bolt just so happens to be one of two I stuck on the other jeep and I later drove it forgetting about the bolts. Found one, but not the one for the CPS.

I'm assuming my CPS isn't doing it's job because of the missing bolt, not sure how sensitive that is, but does anyone happen to know what size bolt the CPS bolt is? Any other ideas why the jeep isn't starting?

91 XJ AW4.

Not sure why you had to pull the trans for a two-part RMS? What is done is done.

Those bolts are "special" as in they have a shoulder that positions the CPS/CKP with the proper air-gap in relation to the flywheel/flexplate. If the air-gap is too large you won't be generating a signal for the PCM and you won't get spark.

Salvage yard, grab a few bolts so you will have extras for the next time you lose one.

That's what I thought..
I pulled the trans because the upper seal wouldn't come out. Did all the tricks. Then just broke down and removed the trans and bam, came out.

Thanks.

That's what I thought..
I pulled the trans because the upper seal wouldn't come out. Did all the tricks. Then just broke down and removed the trans and bam, came out.

Thanks.

Next time just loosen a few of the main caps. Buy some copper rod so you can cut punches to the lengths you need--those uppers can be stubborn but they will come out. Don't forget to spray a little silicone on the upper when installing--makes it slide in easier and helps prevent tearing the lip. And don't forget, even if you didn't have to loosen any extra rod or main caps, you should torque all of them back to specs.

I loosened all of them. spun the crank while tapping, I even broke down and used a bottle jack to press it out. None of it worked.. Was at it for several days of tapping, pressing spinning, ect. Ended up just removing the trans and it came right out. I'm all done, just need to find a cps bolt. the local pick n pull had about 10 XJs. None had their CPS..

Hit the dealer.

Back