• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

4.10 options

fasteddieyj

NAXJA Forum User
I picked up an 8.8 with 4.10s last weekend to swap into my heap. So now I need to do something about the front.
I know that I could find a 4 cyl XJ and just swap in the front end out of that, but I don't see many of them around, plus the one in mine has new brakes , balljoints, etc. So I'm wondering if i could use a set of gears out of a hp30 from a YJ as I spotted one at the yard last weekend. I know new would be better, but I'm trying to do this as cheap as possible. I have a buddy who has all the tools to do an install and I think it would be a great learning experience installing them.
Also I've got an 88 limited with 3.55s right now. TIA

Throw in a used gear set with new bearings and you will be fine. I have run used gears before and had no reliability issues. One set I installed was in spec but the "new" pattern didnt match the original. Had some noise. Took a few thousands out, matched the original pattern, still in spec and it was fine with little to no noise.

I have a set of used Dana Spicer 4.10s in my basement. Think I have a carrier too. Got them new and ran them for a few years before swapping in bigger axles. PM me if interested. Located in Cincinnati OH

AARON

When/if you grab the gears, get the dif carrier also. Probably goes without saying, but the carrier break on the -30 is 3.55/3.73, so the 3.55 carrier you have won't work with the 4.10s.

you can most likely use the pinion and carrier out of the yj and bolt them in your ex with out re shimmin. double check your tooth depth and back lash. i did this on mine pulled the carrier and pinion out of a yj and bolted right into mine everything was exactly like it needed to be. from the factory everything is machined so closed that in most cases they will interchange with out chaingin bearings and shims. now if the bearings need replaced then i would suggest on changin the shims too you are most likely goin to mess up the shims pullin the bearings off.

Used gears are fine. 4.10 sets pop up from time to time for $40-$50 on here. I know you want to do it cheap, but I recommend getting a master install kit and replacing the bearings/races/seal, etc. It will have the shims with it too. They run $130 tops, and if you can't afford that you should probably wait until you can. Why spend all that time installing gears and not replace the internals along with it????

mine where recently replaced before i got them from what i recall. and i knew i was replain the stuff again anyways with the ox im gettin ready to install and i was in a bind to get it done that day and couldnt get the new parts locally.

Thanks for the replies. I certainly wouldn't be to opposed to buying the master kit as these gears will probably be in there for a few years (of course I say this now:gee::gee:). Didn't make it to the junkyard today, so if nothing else pops up local before then I'll try and hit it up next weekend. And if not maybe we can work out a deal MrShoeBoy.

So I'm going to ask a question that I think I already know the answer to.
I found a set of gears today at the pick and pull (along with a front shaft for $23). When my buddy and I were pulling them the race came off one end a a little bit of dirt got on one of the bearings. Can I just clean the holy bajeezus out of the bearing with some brake cleaner and install as is or is the bearing trash? It isn't like it fell into mud, more like a little bit of dust.

If you clean it, it should be fine. WOuld probably only be a few $$ to replace it if necessary.

Back