• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Winch/power question

collkid

NAXJA Forum User
So I was using my winch (First time I'VE used it, it was on the Jeep when I bought it)

And we had to do a LONG pull, So I figured slow and steady would do it (its a Tabor, Warn 8000 I believe)

Anyway, While in the middle (of the pull) the ALT meter would go ALL the way down. I would stop, give it some skinny and continue after it came back up to 14.

Does this just mean I should get a stronger Alternator? I have an Optima Red Top right now.

Or maybe a Duel Battery setup?

I don't winch much, so maybe its something I don't need to worry about?

Thanks

Jeremy

typical results for a long pull, stock battery/alt.

any or all of those would help, but unless you plan on doing that type of pull often you don't NEED to do any (read; I'm cheap). but having a battery with a good warranty might be handy.

but, if you want to fix it, search the V8/durango/dakota/grand cherokee alt upgrade which will up your amps going to the battery, which should replace what the winch is taking somewhat faster.

that is what my cheap ass did, and haven't had a problem... but I do have a battery with a good warranty (3yr replacement, 6yrs pro-rated after that)

Yeah, I have a 136 amp alternator and dual batteries, gauge in cab still goes down significantly during a winch pull. Nothing to worry about. However, as Beakie said, get a good spiral cell battery with a nice warranty and save yourself some headaches in the long run.

Look into an Extended Idle switch, or a hand throttle cable to raise the RPMs while you are winching. The alternator does not charge efficiently at idle.

Winches, like the Warn 8000, draw huge amounts of current. In the neighbor hood of 70amps, just using power-in or out with no load. Draw easily jumps to 200A, and up, with a 2000lb pull. At the 200amp level, it won't take long to run the battery down to the point were the alternator is trying to handle the majority of the load. As stated above, the alternator does not put out max at low RPM, so it's important to keep the RPMs up during a hard pull. Also, and I think just as important as keeping the RPMs up, is the size of the wire running from the alt to the power distribution terminal, to the battery. Most, if not all, are not large enough to allow for max alt current with out a significant voltage drop. So I'd increase the size of the charging system, and install a method of increasing idle speed. To that end, when the electric cooling fan or the air conditioner is engaged, the ECM increases idle speed; a separate switch could easily be wired to tell the ECM one of these two conditions exists, even if it doesn't.

Using a snatch block in the winch line attached to what you're pulling out, or what what you're using as an anchor to pull you out, will reduce the load on your winch considerably also. It will also put 1/2 the stress on the wire rope and reduce the chances of breaking the rope and injuring you or someone else. That said, I would also upgrade my cables and wiring as a matter of course.

One winching mod I never hear anyone talk about: A hand/set throttle. A friend of mine put a under-hood welder on his jeep, and part of the setup included an aircraft style twist throttle to control engine rpm while welding. It also came in handy as a hi-idle set while winching.

You can get a set of bigger cables from 5-90 here on the forum. His stuff comes ready to install for about the same price that you would pay piecing the parts together yourself (without having to measure, cut, solder and put the ends on).

Anyone have a link to 5-90's stuff

Back