• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What symptoms for bad/worn out fuel filter?

solomon7

NAXJA Forum User
I've put about 25.000 on the Jeep since I bought it, and it's probably about time to replace the filter anyways. Filter looked new when i got it but........
Just wondering what suffers when a filter is "done" i.e. mileage, power, start up etc..

If you dont remember the last time it was changed its time for a new one

Looks like a 96 from your profile, not sure though... it's easy to change the fuel filter on a 96 down. Costs like ten bucks at the parts store, pick up a foot each of 3/8" and (I think) 1/4" or 5/16" fuel hose at the same time and some fuel injection hose clamps since the bits of hose from the steel fuel line to the filter are likely old and creaky.

I'd do it regardless of symptoms.

Yup, don't wait for symptoms. On 96 on down, it's $10 well spent.

97+ are serviceable but generally only done so when diagnostics/testing/symptoms point directly to that and when you have the gas tank down which is necessary to access these, I (generally) recommend replacing the entire fuel pump assembly.

I wouldn't recommend replacing the whole thing, I can drop a fuel tank in 20 minutes with little effort now... costs 9 bucks in new hardware to put it back up, but it's well worth it.

On a 97+ the XJ will cut-out just after you make a turn (right turns I think). I had to replace mine at about 120k miles. Had to buy it from ebay with a new fuel pump for $120.

You have never replaced it and the XJ is new to you. Just replace it even if it looks new. As stated above its about 10 or so bucks. Thats just one of those things most of us replace right away when we get a new to us vehicle.

Should be done as part of a tune-up.

Back