• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Pull the front shafts for DD?

ForrestBault

NAXJA Forum User
So I've been searching for 2 hrs on this and I'm a bit confused.

The GF and I are leaving for a 10K trip around the US in our stock 97. I want to pull the DS or better yet leave the DS and pull out the shafts and put plugs/seals in the tubes. The only info I found is is Crash's write up:

"The Dana 30 used in TJ’s/XJ’s/ZJ’s/MJ’s/WJ’s is not a full floating axle, that is, the shaft itself plays a role in carrying the weight of the vehicle. With the shaft removed, the bearings will fall apart, leaving you wheel-less."

I dont see how its a semi float. Any ideas?

No bearings to fall out: http://contentinfo.autozone.com/znetcs/product-info/en/US/tim/513084/image/8/

Last edited:
From what I hear the statement is dead on. The stub shaft plays a roll in holding the unit bearing together. Why do you want to disconnect the front axle? I thought there was a very min gain in fuel econ.

Josh

Yeah, you need to at least run the stub shafts.

Xwhatever, run the stub shafts. They hold the unit bearing together. The inner shaft can be removed just fine but you'll lose gear lube.

If it were me, I'd probably pull the spiders and side gears and leave the shafts.

May as well pull the driveshaft too. It'll be pretty much useless if you pull the inner shafts.

Good question, I considered that myself... if you look at the carrier on a d30 there is about an inch deep section where the shaft rides on the inside of the carrier itself, right where the bearing presses on. Since it's about the same diameter as the splines and the ring gear it seems like it'd be OK to me, but yeah, make your own decision there.

Personally I wouldn't drop the shafts, I've never realized a significant gain from running a 2wd only jeep, and mine has been 2wd with broken shafts, gears, etc for a large portion of time.

I especially wouldn't be without 4wd on a 10k mile trip, who knows when you'll hit a freak snowstorm crossing the rockies, or need to bail off the interstate with no exit around because of gridlock.

If you insist on doing it you would, as stated, need to keep the outer shafts in place, and plug the tubes.

I agree with goodburbon, i pulled the front driveshaft in my 5.9, this is a vehicle that gets 12mpg on the highway, And i noticed a change of about .4mpg better. If you really think the difference is worth it, then you need to reconsider the vehicle you are taking.

I dont want to flame to hard but, your looking for a way to save a buck or two on a trip, but yet your taking an xj. I would not want to take a hacked up jeep on a 10k mile trip.. Personally, i wouldnt take any jeep that didnt have a warranty (srt8.) on a huge road trip

If you're going to take a trip that long and don't break down at least once then whats the point in going? :)

Back