• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

radiator replacement

Tonytj

NAXJA Forum User
Hi! Hey...so I'm replacing the radiator and hoses this weekend and KNOW I'm going to have issues with the draincock. Has anyone here replaced their XXXX with a more user-friendly NPT valve? Would I be able to find something at my local hardware store to replace it with? I'd like a beefier, less messy XXXX. It's for a 98 w/ the 4.0, so I'm a little concerned about space too. :doh:

OH, BTW, I did try searching for XXXX and it didnt' end well. Any help would be appreciated.

And that is what I intend to do as a last option...ideally, I'd really like to have something that makes it very simple and clean to do a drain and refill. Simiar to the intent of the OEM drain, but much more dependable.

I think the easier and neater it is to do, the more often it would get done...

On the wifes 98 I used a hole saw to enlarge the area at the drain valve, Also had to replace said valve after un-screwing it too far, dam plastic parts and O-ring,
Quickest and easiest is to remove lower hose and let it fly---

Wayne

Just the placement of the drain on out radiators make them inconvenient to use as a DRAIN. That, and the fast that they just piddle out coolant makes them even less.
You're only really draining the RADIATOR, not all the coolant.

I've replaced 3 radiators in the last 5 years on 2 different Jeeps and found that there are only 2 really effective ways to drain the coolant.
1. Remove lower hose as stated above and,
2. Remove BLOCK plug, if you can get it out. The square socket "plug" is also a PITA but you will get more coolant out that way. If you go this option, you should replace it with a regular hex head bolt (size ?) to make it easier in the future to remove and drain.

Yes, a little messy, but by far easier and more effective. You can clean up later. Like 2 minutes later with the hose option. You can use the drain XXXX, and clean up 20 minutes later.

You're right...the challenge is more about the location of the drain then the drain itself. If it were out in the open, I would have already come up with something.
I didn't think about the block drain. That might be an option.

Hey, if it's all about pulling the lower hose, then that's what it's gonna be from now on. In all honestly, I don't really care if the neighbor's cat gets sick.

That cat will only get sick/die if there is coolant puddled up enough for him to lap at. Like I said, clean up is just a garden hose away. The stuff is sweet and smells sweet, dogs like it too.

First off, unless someone has changed it your petcock (that word always cracks me up) it is plastic and you have a better than 50 percent chance it is going to break when you try and mess with it.

You are better off pulling the lower hose and catching the coolant in a pan/small bucket.

Save messing with the POS petcock until you are swapping radiators, then just for grins and giggles see if you can get it loose without breaking it.

Not sure what all years, but on a 96 4.0l, only a few fasteners and 3 bolts in bottom ('bout 2-3 minutes) to pull the air cleaner box out completely. Makes that lower hose EASY to work on.

How about this? After draining the radiator woth the drain VALVE one last time, pull a block plug and replace the plug with a common ball valve to use in the future? Geez, it's hard to get away from those suggestive words, isn't it?

How about this? After draining the radiator woth the drain VALVE one last time, pull a block plug and replace the plug with a common ball valve to use in the future? Geez, it's hard to get away from those suggestive words, isn't it?

Dirty minds think alike! :D

I got twenty new lug nuts in a package today and greased my axle shafts this afternoon.

My wife asked what I was up to...I can't write my response here for fear of being cited by Administrators.

Just can't get away from it :dunno:

Funny how some sites block certain words even though they are used on topic an dnot vulgar themselves. I see pet**** (I put in the *) on many other forums.

Meanwhile, back on topic. I remove the lower rad hose as well. Removing the grill and cramming my pudgy fingers to loosen the petcock (Oh, I said it!) is too much effort. The coolant still flows all over the place and takes too long to drain, especially when flushing.

After removing the petcock once, I about thought I had stripped it when I tried to screw it back in. I removed the XJ nose plastic to make sure I got the petcock back in properly. While the nose was off, I cut a corner of the headlight bucket out to ease access to the petcock.

I had found this earlier today, before I came to NAXJA searching for radiators...
http://radiatordoctor.com/warrantystoppers.asp
To avoid a leaking pet-XXXX, do not drain from this valve. Use your lower hose connection as this threading is very soft.. These valves come sealed tightly from the manufacturer. It is best to leave them sealed.

Well, I just went with a standard, non-imaginative installation and have no leaks out of my **** or hose. Success.

Maybe by the time I'm ready to flush I'll invent something and I'll post it up, but for now, I'm just going to yank my lower hose and make a mess like the rest of you sickos.

Back