• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What Brand of Starter

yardape

NAXJA Member #272
Once the original starter goes after 100K it seems like replacing the rebuilds is an every 2-3 year right of passage. Without spending an arm and a leg on a Mean Green, who makes or remanufactures a reliable starter that will last the rest life of the life of the Jeep? Any thoughts? Thanks.

If your starter is not already roasted, but just needs bushings and brushes and a general overhaul, I'd look for a brick-and-mortar rebuilder in the vicinity. I took mine to a local place, and he did it for less than the cost of a rebuilt unit. He's been around for years and has a reputation to protect, so I can be pretty sure that he inspected it and tested it and did it carefully with the correct parts. If it needs armature turning or winding, that's a different matter, but if you're not sure what it needs, the shop can tell you.

Of course, "life of the Jeep" is relative - mine will be going back in soon at something around 252K miles, so I expect it will be the last one I need.

We tend to forget, though, that there are places like that out there, and this is one little thing we can do to keep a few of our bucks going to American tradesmen in our own midst instead of sending them off to who knows where, and it ends up being no sacrifice on our part.

If your starter is not already roasted, but just needs bushings and brushes and a general overhaul, I'd look for a brick-and-mortar rebuilder in the vicinity. I took mine to a local place, and he did it for less than the cost of a rebuilt unit. He's been around for years and has a reputation to protect, so I can be pretty sure that he inspected it and tested it and did it carefully with the correct parts. If it needs armature turning or winding, that's a different matter, but if you're not sure what it needs, the shop can tell you.

Of course, "life of the Jeep" is relative - mine will be going back in soon at something around 252K miles, so I expect it will be the last one I need.

We tend to forget, though, that there are places like that out there, and this is one little thing we can do to keep a few of our bucks going to American tradesmen in our own midst instead of sending them off to who knows where, and it ends up being no sacrifice on our part.

I agree with you completely however living in a metropolitan area those places are few and far between. Thusfar the closest I found is about 1-1/2 hours away which is 3 times as long as it would take to R&R the thing. But finding a local rebulder is an excellent idea even if its impractical for me to execute it.

You'd be surprised, check the run-down "mechanical and industrial" area of town. I discovered I have two spring rebuilders, a fastenal, a grainger, a used tool and die store, a motor/generator rebuilder, AND a steel supply company all within 5 miles. I've lived in this town 5 and a half years and never knew that till recently.

Agree, you will be amazed at what you can find in a metropolitan area's industrial zone, and there is a larger demand for electrical motor repair in larger cities--commercial applications abound, and those things you can't pick up at NAPA or Autozone, they have to be rebuilt and done quick.

Ask a few restaurants where they get their motors rebuilt, or check with the 4x4 shops where they are getting winch motors done. Check with your local bearing dealers, sometimes they wear two hats.

i took a wrong turn going to my local 4x4 shop and ended up at a place that rebuilt/reman starters, got one (looked new with chrysler stamps) for 50 bucks, good thing too cause mine crapped out two days later

doug

Finding an independent shop to rebuild is a great idea; I have one great older guy in my town who is good AND cheap, a combination that is hard to find nowadays.

In the absence of that, remanufactured is OK as quality control has reduced the rate of returns in that category, but I prefer new. My experience with reman. stuff is that while it may work perfect ouf of the box (and even through the warranty period), the longevity isn't going to match up with new components.

I don't like doing repairs twice and often the price difference isn't that much.

Back