• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

broke rod, few questions on swap

junkyjeep

NAXJA Forum User
what is the easiest advice on pulling the engine to replace it with a low mileage long block i picked up. is pulling the engine and trans together the best way, it seems like i could support the trans with a jack and pull engine alone, seeing as thats all im replacing. ive done a million swaps in mustangs and etc but the search button was not my friend this time around. i read about pulling all as a unit, and removing front clip etc.. im going to get this done this weekend and would like a good solid game plan going into it.thanks

Need to know a little info about your rig. Most on here doing an engine swap prefer to pull the engine and trans as one unit as it makes it easier to seperate the two and then put them back together.

The hardest part is getting the 2 upper engine to trans bolts off. They are E12 and you must usee long extensions and they're tight. Other than that, it's one of the easiest motors to R&R that I've ever done. Another tip, when reinstalling the motor, have the motor mounts on the block so you can set everything down on to the frame brackets and stud.

its a 95 xj, just swaping engines as its the cheaper alternative and the stock 4.0 has given me more then enough power .. i have the socket allready and have done tranny swaps on these so im aware of the top bolts, should i pull the front clip off ? thanks

I'd rather pull the whole unit, it means those E12s aren't as bad, CPS isn't as bad, and how much more do you have to do? Not much, disconnect some tranny shift cables and whatnot, a few more electrical cables, the driveshafts, transfer case shift linkage, and the tranny crossmember. Really not a big deal.

As a bonus, it makes getting the torque converter properly seated and attached to the new flexplate a lot easier, and in general everything else about the swap easier too.

you can slide it in just fine with the header panel/radiator in place.

replace those e-12's with a hex head bolt while they are out

JUSSSTTTTTT incase you need to pull the engine/tranny again.

I took the hood off and the front clip out. Made it much easier, and doesnt take long.

X2 on the front clip. It takes less than 10 minutes to take out. I kept the hood on though. We just pulled the long block and left the transmission in. I had no problems taking the upper bolts off.

its out took me about 1:45 mins my first time with my buddy fetching tools.. easy as pie. im replacing the top 2 bolts with hex heads , i pulled front clip to be safe i could have done it with it in there but it did make more room.. i have 3 broke rods and a severely messed up crank .lol the rest of the engine is in tip top shape so ill sell extra parts off.. thanks guys

Back