• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Fuel leak

uRabbit

NAXJA Forum User
Filled the Jeep up for the first time today, since I sold my car today. After sitting for two and a half hours, there is a puddle of fuel about 3x4 feet on the driveway under my Jeep.

I have had no problem when I filled it up quarter-way, which is the only time before that I put fuel in it.

So what could this mean?

- '90 Pioneer - 4x4 - AW4 -

Sounds like it's leaking from where the fuel pump fits into the tank, there is an O ring seal which might be leaking. With a bright torch you should be able to see where it is leaking from if you lie on your back and look about two thirds of the way up the tank. It's awkward to get at with the tank in place, but has been done by some people, much easier taking the tank out. If you do take the tank out I would think about changing the pump while you are at it. Lots of write up's on here on how to do it. HTH

Tracking a fuel leak shouldn't be to hard just look under the jeep and see where the clean spot is. That's one of the things of gas is it's an excellent cleaner so you should be able to see pretty easy where it's leaking from.

Jeepcreep, you guys from the other side of the pond need to get your terminology correct when posting on US based forums. To us, a torch is used for soldering and welding, has a bright flame, and shouldn't be used for finding gasoline leaks.We call them flashlights over here. LOL

Jeepcreep, you guys from the other side of the pond need to get your terminology correct when posting on US based forums. To us, a torch is used for soldering and welding, has a bright flame, and shouldn't be used for finding gasoline leaks.We call them flashlights over here. LOL

Haha! I was just thinking that.

Mkay. I should have a chance today to take a gander at it. However, if I do pull the tank, I'll lose all the fuel, and I don't have a place to do that at. Pretty sure 17 gallons of fuel on my driveway would be quite the mess. Not to mention, illegal in one way or another. Haha. Might have to get a shop to do it if it's unreachable.

Thanks guys.

It's not too bad, I've done it myself.

Buy 4 5 gallon pails at Home Depot, with lids... they'll run you about 5 bucks each and are useful for other stuff afterwards (let them air out obviously!) They're made from HDPE and quite safe for gasoline - the 97+ OEM fuel tank is made from the same plastic. Disconnect the fuel feed line and electrical connector, stick the fuel feed line in the first bucket, run the pump using a spare battery till the bucket's full, switch to next bucket, etc. When it stops pumping gas, you can drop the tank easily.

If you need new fuel tank J-bolts (I find it easier to simply cut them and replace) they are part number J3240023, funjeepsparts.com has them for 2 bucks a pop. 3/8-16 thread, so while you're at Home Depot for the buckets, pick up 2 3/8-16 stainless steel nylock nuts and a packet of 3/8 stainless steel washers.

Pictures are taken facing rear of Jeep.

Passenger side of fuel tank
IMGP1494.jpg

Driver side of fuel tank
IMGP1495.jpg

Fuel pump? Source of leak?
IMGP1498.jpg

That clamp isn't loose. It's just the extra bit left over. Fuel seems to be leaking from the housing itself. Was wet around the bottom portion.

Last edited:
Looks like the o-ring underneath the lockring has probably worn out. Go down to the local parts store and you can get a new lock ring with new o-ring for pretty cheap. You can replace it with the tank in place but like people have said it's a pain but would still be a good idea to drain the tank for the most part. I recommend kastein's method and running the pump either with a second battery or just turning the key to ON position until bucket's full.

actually its pretty easy. use a brass or aluminium punch to turn lock and chang the tab u tap on every few taps then slowly spin the sending unit until it comes out with no interference....kinda suck putting it all back in and ur guage doesnt work cuz u bent the float rod so just take ur time....shouldnt take more than an hour or 2. mine actually leaked around the bottom of the return line and the cover when i filled it up more than half

Kinda-Sorta looks like a hose leak. Might let it dry some or clean it off, then key on pressure up and recheck?

(Tighten clamps?)

Dealer is 'bout $7 or so for 'o' ring.

-Be sure to raise it up on stands and well blocked and SECURE to work in there.

Safety First!!! No sparks!

-The pump assembly will go out and back in easy IF you turn it just the right ways. so remember which ways you turn it.

-There is a rubber stopper on the bottom end of the supporting tube of the pump assembly. It goes into a recess in the bottom of the tank. When its in right the pump assembly flange will sit flush on tank. If there is a gap on one side it needs to be aligned stopper into recess.

-go slow on clamp ring watching for the 'o' ring to stay in the groove, if it trys to ooze out - push back with a popsicle stick or other smooth tool. Also coat 'o' ring with vasoline before install.

Go jeep site, mentioned above, has good info and pictures, AND a bunch of other good stuff. Excellent!

Good Luck,
Orange

Just try turning it to the right more? Use hose fittings as leverage?

edit: Tried. Not budging. What about using RTV? Or would that be bad?
Also, I repositioned the clamp. Like so:
IMGP1500.jpg

Last edited:
No. DO NOT put pressure on hose fittings.

The locking ring has 3 tabs, just tap on one accessible to turn ring clockwise. A hardwood dowel say 10 inch long against a tab and a mallot or hammer to tap with.

should turn fairly easy sorta like driving a small nail. be sure all 3 parts of ring are clamping evenly.

The pump and the tank flange do not turn , only the locking ring.

Last edited:
looks like the top half of the ring isnt seated behind the tab and it definetly isnt fully locked. only bout half way in that pic. find some 1/4"x10" brass square stock and tap on the inner tabs until the small outer tabs contact the hold downs on the tank. should be all set after that

Last edited:
Google -'jeep cherokee fuel pump install' . 1st one should be lunghd.com how to...
about half way down is picture of pump installed "View of twist Lock Ring".

Note that the little stop tabs are against the 'fingers' of the tank flange and lock ring is under the 'fingers' all around.

See GoJeep fuel tank mod for pictures of tank lock ring being turned, (Except use non sparking tools!)

If you have to restart the ring be sure fuel is less than 1/2 tank to avoid spill.

Ring should 'start' by hand all three places then tap on around to fully lock

(again if the stopper is not in the recess inside tank will tilt and cause problems.)

http://www.lunghd.com/Tech_Articles/Fuel_System/Fuel_Pump_Replacement.htm

Back