• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

3" and 33's?

spitfyre

NAXJA Forum User
hey everyone, so i'm going to be putting a 3" RC lift on my 99 2door.. i was just wondering if anyones running 33s with 3 inches? i dont do much wheeling so im not worried about flex, and i would be fine with some fender trimming too.
thanks

nobody here runs higher than 31's......

of course you can fit them get the grinder out

Grinder it is. you can fit 35"s with that 3" lift if you throw in 1.75" spacer and shackle the rear..

Of course, 33s.. OR 35s will suck with a dana 35 and stock gearing

Soo after all the required trimming would I have any fenders left? flare options? It's just a dd for now but I don't want to order the 31s if I can go bigger. I'm curious if anyones done this and has pics.. And when the 35 goes I'll pull the 44s out of the waggy that's rotting in my driveway.

Here is 2 inch spacer/shackle lift with generous trimming, and 33's.

Roadtest003.jpg

I used Rubicon Flares up front and regular TJ rear flares at the back. Bumpstop accordingly and you will be ok. And don't forget skidplating....

That looks real nice. Did you run into any problems trimming it? Any bracing or supports to deal with? And also how'd you measure the cuts, jusbremove as much as the flare would hide? How bout the backspacing of your wheels? I'll likely be running the 33s on my stock rims

3.5" Rubicon Express Lift with Bushwhacker cut-out flares and 33x12.50r15 BFG KM2s on 15x8 black steel wheels with 3.75 backspacing. front sits a little low so there is a little rubbing up front at full turn due to the weight of the brush guard but some coil spacers should cure it.

IMG_0102226.jpg

IMG_0102222.jpg

IMG_0102223.jpg

3.5" and 33x11.5s here, had to trim about to the outer edge of the OEM flares (removed them, will remount when I feel like spending time on it.) I have 8" wide rims with 4" of backspacing and have only fairly minor rubbing when turning sharply.

you wont be able to run 33s on stock wheels i have cragars with 4in of back spacing and they still hit the control arms pretty bad at full lock and i have 4.5 in of lift and ive trimmed the hell outa my fenders and they still rub a lil bit you can do it but id stick with 31s

I am running the 3" BDS lift which actually netted me somewhere around 3.5" I believe. Trimmed with lawn edging for fender flares. No rubbing at all during normal around town driving (can steer full lock to lock), some rubbing up front when flexed since I never did the cut/fold of the inner pinch weld and havent bumpstopped as I should.

33x12.50s (worn down a bit, so not quite 33s :)) on 15x10 wheels with 3.75" backspacing:
P7220004.jpg

Ignore the rag... if I didn't put it there the flash reflected off the plate and you could barely see the Jeep :laugh3:
P7220003.jpg

A more recent pic, now with bumpers so not quite as high as it was. I don't recall if this pic was snapped before or after the 9" went in (the 9" added a tiny bit of lift out back)
IMAG0221.jpg

IMAG0223.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks everyone, I'll find some flares and get the grinder ready :) haha mines gonna look funny for a while because I'll probably do everything before getting the tires..

As was mentioned already... just be sure you realize that the gearing will suck esp if you have an auto.

Many people go on and on about just how badly it sucks. I for one will always say that it was do-able and I dealt with it for several years myself but there is a huge loss of power. I have a 5-speed and if I had an auto I know I would have hated my life. I just regeared to 4.88s and have only 1 drive on the gears so far (because I need to replace steering before I trust it to drive on the road :rolleyes:). All I can say is "night and day".

Yea I realize it's gonna lose it's balls around town (at least it'll look like it has more) I might be able to pick up some taller gears from a buddy's parts jeep, on the brightside I'll be getting better mileage on the highway, which is where most of my drive is

You won't be able to accelerate very well on the highway, trust me on this one.

I was one of the guys saying stock gearing and 32s/33s was possible till I bought my DD, a stocker MJ... gearing is night and day. I hadn't realized how much worse it was with 33s because I went from stock to lifted to lifted+32s (worn to about a 31) to lifted+33s so it got worse incrementally.

Yeah, you won't *need* to. You'll want to though!

Until you regear I'd suggest buying a tranny cooler, they're pretty cheap and worth the money when you run 33s on stock gearing.

Back