• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Tires Squeal Around All Corners

96XJ9705

NAXJA Forum User
It feels likes its in 4WD but isn't, and any time I turn sharp on pavement the tires will squeal or lurch. Is this a case of the hubs not disengaging or something worse. The alignment was done after I bought it and was fine and it squealed some then (2 years ago), but not as bad as now. Thanks for the help!

^ X2, and wider tires will squeal more than narrower tires also, and especially when you turn while on something slick, like a paint line on the pavement.

Over or under inflated tires....?

Should have put more info in. Tires were almost new (90%) when I got it and it squealed then. Now though it has started doing the hop a bit more, not as bad as putting it in 4WD, but not smooth.

Jeep is stock except for 235/75-15 tires and MJ shackles. Rear springs are frowning a little and I'm planning to add a couple of S-10 leaves when I get some front springs and a free weekend.

It is not too fast because it will do it in parking lots and such.

The way a u-joint works is that the caps warble as the joint goes through their rotation, with greater angles producing greater amounts of warble. This is why driveshafts stagger the joints, so that when one end is warbling in the other end is warbling out, which keeps the shaft in the same relative position. (see http://www.4xshaft.com/index.html for a better explanation)

Axle shafts only have one joint, so when you turn the wheel and the joint warbles the whole assembly tries to move. The outer shaft is fixed to the hub so the inner shaft basically has to move in and out. When you crank the wheel really far the whole thing kind of binds and releases and you sort of push the front around.

Last edited:
Don't the hubs disconnect the axle shafts?

The u-joints would explain the hopping though. Do they need replaced, or is this just normal and expected for full lock turns on pavement?

The stock front hubs are permanently engaged--2WD vs 4WD just determines whether the front driveshaft is engaged at the transfer case, but the axle is always turning.

If you don't know when the u-joints were last replaced you should go ahead and replace them. Also look under the seals for rust or dust, and replace them if you find any.

Do I need to pull the axle shafts as well. I assume that I need to to press in the new bearing cups, but wanted to make sure to plan enough time for this.

how do you know your not in 4wd? i had the same prob. my selector was in 2wd i could pull in the grass/mud and just the back would spin. my tc was messed up and wasnt lettin it fully come out of 4wd. it was enough when i would try to make them spin it would spin the back and slightly put power to the front. jack it up and sit it on stands get all 4 tires off the ground put it in gear see if either of the front turn. i finally found out it was in 4wd couldnt ever get it fully out and finally the internals of the tc blew apart on me. swapped in another tc and havent had a prob since. i swore up and down that it wasnt in 4wd. i was proved wrong.

Not a bad idea. I'll replace the u-joints as well just for the sake of knowing they are good. At 145K I had expected more things to break by now.

Back