• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

94ho to 90 renix swap

rustbeltxj

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 94 cherokee sport that i love but unfortunatly they use salt on the roads where i live. 16 years of that caused some issues mainly the frame and floorboards that are supporting the front leaf spring perches are almost non existant. And i feel i have to much time and money into my xj to just junk it which leads me to my question. I have a line on a 90 xj from louisiana with a jasper 4.0 with 40k on it so i dont want to swap in my 4.0 with 140k on it as it burns oil any way but is there any way to swap just the ho stuff(cam,head,throttlebody)with out pissing of the computers or if its possible to do a wiring swap from the renix to mpi or should i just deal with renix any info is much appreciated thanks.

Renix is fine and can be modified quite nicely. The HO isn't magic by any stretch of the imagination. You can get a 60mm throttle body from strokedjeep.com for $90, and it's bigger than the HO throttle body. The cam in the HO is nothing great either. Yes, the HO heads flow a bit better but it's at higher RPM. You wouldn't notice the difference with a blindfold on. Put a set of good injectors in the Renix, a good tune-up and go for it.

Pick an operating system and go for it.

If you want the 90 you have two options--keep it Renix, or convert it to OBDI using your 94's parts.

Do they both have the same transmission? If you convert to OBDI you will need that year's flexplate or flywheel, transmission computer, the entire wiring harness including the PDC and PCM. You could probably hack some parts of the OBDI harness to the Renix if you are good with electrical, have both detailed wiring diagrams (no Haynes/Chilton crap).

Ok good to know i dont know if its the same trans im going to check it out tomorrow .If its that involved i might just leave it alone i mean its 20 years and still running so it cant be that bad. Is there any other weak parts or common problems to look for on the 1990?:repair:

Back