• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Oil leak from head gasket?

bigalpha

I have a buddy who has a 1990 MJ with the 6 cyl.

Looks like he's leaking oil from the head gasket. He says it runs at normal temps. I wasn't sure if you could leak oil without having it overheat.

VC Gasket is new.
Oil filter adapter orings are new.
New oil sender
New rear main.
No oil in AF; no AF in oil
No discernible loss of AF.
Lost 2.5qts of oil on a 500 mile round trip

4461998201_9899fd91eb.jpg

4461997539_92ab1e7e1f.jpg

Normal. The head gasket will leak oil in that area when it gets old. Unless it really bothers him or the leak is large just let it go. Or if he is lazy, clean the area off and try to slap some RTV on it.

I really doubt it's the head gasket. There are no high pressure oil passages that go through the gasket- only the gravity-fed oil drainback from the rocker arms.

No, it is the head gasket, but there is nothing crucial in that area. It is just sealing the empty space above the lifters where the push rods run through and the oil drains back down. There are also no bolts there that really compress the gasket.

im having what looks like the same problem on my wagoneer. but im to lazy and poor to fix it so i chalked it up to rust prevention. its the only thing that saving my floorboards

im having what looks like the same problem on my wagoneer. but im to lazy and poor to fix it so i chalked it up to rust prevention. its the only thing that saving my floorboards

can you see through your rear floors? I can.

thankfully I'll have a Honda to drive around to rust out this winter, and will save for new sheetmetal (floors, a rocker, and a fender) once I have a locker in it.

My '90 4.0 has the same leak. The oil is clean and the coolant is clean so I'm just letting it ride for the moment. If I decide to pull the head at some point will I need a cherry picker? I'd imagine a straight 6 cast iron head is pretty heavy. Anyone know what one of these heads weighs?

The stock head is heavy. I replaced my head gasket last weekend. I ended up with one foot one the driver's side motor mount and one foot on the bumper, but I got it out alone. A wife and two daughters aren't much help with those tasks......

Back