• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Roll cage tie in

scjeepsxj

NAXJA Forum User
I'm just finishing the front part of my roll cage in my 1990 2dr chop top cherokee. I've done the B and C pillar and used 3/8 plate on the top and bottom with 2 bolts and sandwiched the unibody to tie them in. But for the front it's not that simple, there won't be room to put my feet (I'm 6'7) the unibody sits to far in. After doing a quick search I couldn't find a definitive answer for my question. My sliders tie in to the unibody in a perfect spot, if I plasma cut a hole in the floor and ran the front tube to the slider and welded it would it be structually strong enough. The slider is bolted and welded to the unibody (I'm all about overkill) so its on there good. I'm using 1 1/2 inch .120 DOM tubing and the sliders are atleast 2 inches so a quick notch to the DOM would make it fit perfect. Thanks ahead for any ideas. I'll put up some pictures when I'm done for anyone interested.

Id re-think the whole thing,3/8" plate wont do anything for you as well as the 2 bolts per plate.Your still dealing with sheetmetal.You would be better off drilling through the floor and picking up the main rails with some thru bolts and sleeves!

Id re-think the whole thing,3/8" plate wont do anything for you as well as the 2 bolts per plate.Your still dealing with sheetmetal.You would be better off drilling through the floor and picking up the main rails with some thru bolts and sleeves!

Its not sandwiching the sheet metal, its sandwiching the unibody. I drilled holes through the unibody and put a plate with two holes drilled on the bottom of the unibody and on top of the unibody and ran bolts through them. So plates on top and bottom with 3/4" bolts running through them cranked super tight with the tube welded to the top plate. I hope that makes sense. Its like a unibody sandwich with 3/8 plate as the bread and the 3/4 bolts as the tooth picks holding it together reallllly tight. I finished it today though and just notched the bottom of the tube and welded it to the slider in the front. Then reinforced that part of the slider with the rest of that 3/8 plate to the unibody. The thing is insanely sturdy. It turned out great. Plus i got to use the new bender:D

Back