• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

89 XJ Transmission/shifting problem

Jesse714

NAXJA Forum User
I've been having alot of problems with the transmission on my XJ lately, When put in overdrive, it acts like its stuck in overdrive, or in too high of a gear, when i first had this problem, i just drove around in 1-2 &3, And then i decided to fix it, I started with the transmission, as i thought it was slipping, I replaced it with a transmission out of a 96, and replaced the T-case as well (i had to because the spline count was different) The first test drive went great, it took off great in OD, it just didn't want to shift at the right RPMS, i adjusted the TV or kickdown cable and that helped alot, it sat parked in my garage for a while, the new transmission install has maybe 15-20 miles on it, and now its doing the same exact thing....? I have replaced the following- Neutral safety switch, Tranny computer, OD solenoid in the transmission, The torque converter when i did the swap (could that be bad?) and i just got the Throttle position sensor, which im told controls the shifting, however, i don't know how to adjust it, i know it should be between 8.25 and 8.35, mine is at 8.66 and i cannot get it to go down! And, this is probably the problem, i don't know which setting to use on my digital voltmeter, i have heard its 20K(ohms) or 20 volts, with the setting on 20V, i don't get any reading, on my buddys 88XJ, i don't get any reading on 20K, only volts, so its backwards from mine and i can't figure it out. Basically, i'm completely lost, and frustrated with the the thing. It's been a great rig, i just can't get it figured out.. So hopefully someone can tell me whats up with it, which setting to use, why it won't read on volts, what i need to replace, or what i missed.
It doesn't make any sense to me, why it drove fine, i was finally getting it figured out, and then the next time i went to drive it it was doing the same thing, my inlet and outlet lines on the tranny aren't clogged, My buddy said that was something i should check, since he figured i warped the bands out 4x4'ing...
Somebody, Please!!
Thanks
:dunno:

You remove the 4-wire plug to test ground, "D", and reference voltage, "A", with the key ON, engine off.

You plug the 4-wire back into the TB to test BETWEEN ground "D" and "B" for output voltage, key ON throttle fully closed, and you back-probe "D" and "B".

Reference voltage should be approximately 5.0 volts, output voltage for the auto XJ should be about 4.15 volts. The relationship is 83 percent for the auto trans TPS. That means if your reference voltage is 4.3 volts your output voltage should be 83 percent of that.

You remove the 4-wire plug to test ground, "D", and reference voltage, "A", with the key ON, engine off.

You plug the 4-wire back into the TB to test BETWEEN ground "D" and "B" for output voltage, key ON throttle fully closed, and you back-probe "D" and "B".

Reference voltage should be approximately 5.0 volts, output voltage for the auto XJ should be about 4.15 volts. The relationship is 83 percent for the auto trans TPS. That means if your reference voltage is 4.3 volts your output voltage should be 83 percent of that.
Thank you, that helps out alot.
Which setting should i use on my digital voltmeter? I don't have a setting for 5, 20 is the lowest it will go.. Would the voltage still be the same?
Sorry, I have no idea about electrical things.

Use the 20 scale, the meter should read out to one or two places like 5.0/4.2/3.6

Always choose the scale 1-up from what you are working on--12 volt system choose 20 volt range. FYI, even though it is a "12 volt" system, a properly operating system with the engine on will usually show 13.6~14.5 volts, higher if there is an overcharging problem.

I'm pretty sure i just found it, and thats probably my problem :) If its the resistor looking thing that links the yellow and yellow and blue wire, (i think thats the colors) Its completely broken! Does anybody know where i would find this fuse? I wouldn't know what to ask autozone...?

Last edited:
Under the dash, passenger's side, runs to the TCU?

10 amp fuse, any auto parts store.

Is the holder broken? If so, just get an appropriate fuse and holder at the parts store and replace both.

It looks more like a resistor so i may just go to the junk yard and grab one.

There is a resistor in there for the power/comfort switch that goes between the yellow and blue-yellow wires. It's a 'pull-up resistor' for the switch at the brake pedal. If that's broken, the tcu will not be able to sense when you hit the brake and won't know to unlock the torque converter.

I don't recall the value of this resistor off the top of my head. I can go out and measure mine if it stops raining. I think it's probably around a 3.3 k-ohm resistor which can get a 2-pack of at Radio Shack for $1.

There should be an automotive blade type fuse on the yellow power wire going to pin D16.

Back