• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

New(er) XJ Owner Some ???'s

drunkbynoon

NAXJA Forum User
Howdy,

I recieved a 93 xj pretty well modded so I am not sure if this is the right place or not to ask if need be I can move the thread.

According to the PO the steering box needs to be rebuilt/replaced. There is a dead spot in the steering, while still driveable there is some pull when stopping, drifting on highways with trucker ruts, and in wind it feels like it is drifting also. No death wobble just the feeling of a really "loose" front end......It does have a long arm kit if that is anything too.

My question being, does anyone reccomend one or the other? And the Costs associated with each?

And it does have sway bar disconnects I have tried them on and off which is the best route to go for city driving?

Thanks!:cheers:

keep your sway bar connected at all times while on the street:shocked:

If it is "following" ruts on the road or feels twitchy,I'll bet your caster is probably off.Caster is not adjustable(stock) so if its off you'll have to get adjustable ball joints or have the c's turned...unless you have adjustable arms then you can tweak the caster at the expense of your front pinion angle.Have an alignment done to get an idea where its at right now.Out of spec toe can cause weird steering too.While you're having the front aligned have them...or you check for play in the tie rod ends,ball joints,wheel bearings,and check your frame where the steering box is to see if its cracked.And ofcourse the box itself could be worn out also...but since you really don't know what kind of maintenance has been done on this jeep,it's best to check everything all together,imo.
Which way does it pull during braking?

**Oh and check the track bar for looseness....

Last edited:
I have similar problems on my 93 XJ...when I jump on the brakes, it pulls right.
but, it is stock except for a pro comp adj. TB thats dialed down as far as it can go.

Yes, check the things listed above to include all the TREs. Park your XJ and have someone slowly turn the steering wheel back and forth while you look at all of the steering components. If there's a problem with a worn part you can usually detect it using this method.

With a lifted XJ you'll lose ideal caster due to the need of keeping the front drive shaft to pinion U-joint at a decent angle. This will cause driveability issues like tracking in ruts and not wanting to steer straight.

I suggest before you replace the steering box, check the rest of the steering components. I replaced my steering box and steering shaft and still have a dead spot.

By the way, caster is adjustable on stock vehicles. It's camber that's not adjustable, at least not without new balljoints designed for it.

Ok followed the above and asked the PO, He says 2 years ago tie rod ends replaced and the track bar, etc.

When I turn slowly from knuckle to knuckle there is a point where the front end rises up and down if that is any help.

Sorry to be vague about it but I dont have too much info......I came from working on bmw's. Which is a different world I may go back to very soon......I have the option of getting my old m535 back and I may do that.....

(quote:Tom R)
"By the way, caster is adjustable on stock vehicles. It's camber that's not adjustable, at least not without new balljoints designed for it."
(end quote)

Good catch....thats what I meant to type.Although it's a limited range of caster adjustment,atleast on mine it is.Those stock caster shims can only do so much....especially when you are sitting on over 5" of lift.

Last edited:
Howdy,

some pull when stopping, drifting on highways with trucker ruts, and in wind it feels like it is drifting also. No death wobble just the feeling of a really "loose" front end......It does have a long arm kit if that is anything too.

And it does have sway bar disconnects I have tried them on and off which is the best route to go for city driving?

Thanks!:cheers:
My advice start simple, pull when stopping may be cause by unevenly bled brakes or unevenly wearing brakes. Drifting in trucker ruts can be caused by wider and more aggressive tires grabbing the ruts with the side lugs and juts trying to pull you out of the rut. Drifting beacause of wind is an easy one you driving a lifted box with aerodynamic qualities of a brick :roflmao:As far as the sway bar being connected or not it is best to have it connected while on the roads but i drove my xj with 3" of lift and 31s and 33s and with 5.5" and 33s with no sway bars, it gets a little iffy some times but it really depends on your driving style

Ok followed the above and asked the PO, He says 2 years ago tie rod ends replaced and the track bar, etc.

When I turn slowly from knuckle to knuckle there is a point where the front end rises up and down if that is any help.

Sorry to be vague about it but I dont have too much info......I came from working on bmw's. Which is a different world I may go back to very soon......I have the option of getting my old m535 back and I may do that.....

If your looking for somthing resembling road worthiness, sell the modded XJ and get a stock one cheaper. A stock one will get you 80% of the places a modded one will with better gas mileage and road handling too. Add a locker and retrieval points if you want to go hard core.:anon:

Back