• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

lift shackles or block?

KingCopa

NAXJA Forum User
I got my jeep a few months ago and it has blocks on it and I have been getting a lot of axle wrap and was wondering if lift shackles would help get rid of it till I can get some bastard packs made or new lifted springs? The jeep has a 5.5 lift and the blocks look to be about 2" in the rear and taper shorter towards the front, so I'm assuming 2 in lift shackles should work if it is even worth my time. Thanks for any imput!

Use a 1.5" lift shackle and a 1" block, but not more unless you put in a traction bar to prevent axle rotation. If you already have 5.5" you might benefit from a rear shackle relocation kit from hdoffraod (I think thats the name). The relocation kit lifts about an inch all by itself so the relocation kit plus the lift shackle will not only lift you 2.5" inches making up for removing the 2" block but you will get much improved shackle angles for more flex and a better ride.

John

so I'm assuming 2 in lift shackles should work if it is even worth my time.
A lift shackle only provides 1/2 of it's "extended" length as lift. Example: A shackle 2" longer then stock only gives aprox. 1" of lift.

I vote to get rid of the blocks or as much of them as you can. Getting rid of the blocks will help with the axle wrap, but may not solve it completely. When/if you dump the blocks, you may need to stick a degree shim back in on the spring. The blocks you have already have some angle correction built in to them. That's why they're shorter in the front then the rear. The longer shackle won't completely make up the angle difference from the block removal.

Ok now to complicate things ! Would I be better off with doing the shackle relocation brackt and 1.5 lift shackle or the Rough Country X 3" spings? They will be about the same price...

what springs do you have now?

the relocation brackets and are a great product giving you range to make sure you get a proper shackle angle which will improve flex and ride as well. but if your springs are shitty, that may be a better starting point.

Well as far as I know they are stock springs. They don't seem to be saggin as the Xj sits level but I have not looked for any markings on them

Back