• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

oil change

halhos

NAXJA Forum User
98 cherokee 4.0
ok i go to the top of the dumb question section but nonetheless... i want to change the oil and have the oil and a new oil filter.when im under the jeep how do i recognise the container that im supposed to drain and is their some diagram(specific or general) floating around the various sites.much obliged.

If you have your owners manual, there is a diagram in there.

Otherwise, on the very bottom of your engine, there is a plug, looks like the head of a bolt (cause that's what it is). Unscrew that, and have a catch pan underneath, cause it's gonna come out quick.

ON a 4.0 of this vintage, there's almost no way to avoid spilling some oil when you do the filter, but it helps if you drain the crankcase first. Try not to drop the plug into the drain pan. Try also to have a pretty wide pan. Purpose-made oil change pans work pretty well. After the oil has finished draining out of the crankcase, move the pan over so that it's more or less under the oil filter, and then loosen the filter. Oil will gush out, and probably spill, but if you're lucky most will end up in the pan. Let it drain some before taking the filter all the way out. Try to get the filter up and out of the way without tipping it open-end down until you can set it on or in the pan.

And when are dealing with the filter, make very sure that you don't accidentally break the oil pressure sender, which is kind of in the way. It's easy to do and it will ruin your day to the tune of about 35 bucks.

The container you are going to drain is called the "Oil Pan". This is similiar to what it will be shaped like.... It will probably be black in color though. The drainplug will be centered and toward the rear of the pan.

oilpan03_720.jpg

Also a tip for removing the filter, get some old news papers and throw them down around the catch pan. When you unscrew the filter and the oil begins to come out of it it will hit the pan if you have it properly placed, but the back splash will go all over the ground.

I found a small funnel in my garage with a tube attached to it. On my 96, I flex the funnel and from underneath I stick the funnel under the oil filter and put the tube pointing into my drain pan. As long as I don't get butterfingers and drop the filter I don't spill a drop on my oil changes now.

What is this a joke?

1985xjlaredo said:
What is this a joke?

i was feeling the same way. then i read all of the very helpful and courteous replies. i thought to myself 'wow, this is a really awesome community. nobody is even giving this guy shit. how rad.'

naxja is too cool for school

thanks to everyone for being so helpful

You know not everyone has been working on there jeep for as long as many of us. and when you first decide to do an oil change, it can be weird trying to decifer what parts are which, and what to drain.

now if it was something like where is my battery... thats a different story

kndrewa said:
i was feeling the same way. then i read all of the very helpful and courteous replies. i thought to myself 'wow, this is a really awesome community. nobody is even giving this guy shit. how rad.'

naxja is too cool for school

thanks to everyone for being so helpful

Yeah, NAXJA is nothing like pirate4x4
over there they tell you to drink bleach and swallow knives :roflmao:

I'll admit, I thought it was a joke at first, too. But I realized that nobody knows everything. And there was a time when I didn't have a clue on where even the battery was. But whether it was your dad, a buddy, a book, or NAXJA, you had to get your first lesson from somewhere.

Congrats on getting dirty, halhos.

Sand

The oil comes out at a very high velocity and the stream will carry 18" - 2 feet. Newspapers or a big section of cardboard really help the clean-up. An oil drier or clay based kitty litter are handy to have around as well. After you do it a couple of times you'll think you know where it will land, but you won't get it all!
I like to run the engine for 3 -4 minutes first to warm and thin the oil, but there's a school of thought that believes that you should drain the oil stone cold so that any swarf is in the lowest portion of the oil pan.

Best of luck, it isn't hard, just messy!

Probably already have a clear enough response, but just wanted to add that the oil pan bolt is in front of where the exhaust crosses over. If you're looking as a bolt that is labeled "DII" (thats your tranny) you need to look a couple feet forward :D

Once you remove the filter, clean the oil filter base on the engine. Dip your finger in some fresh oil and lubricate the rubber ring on the new filter before re-installing.

sandman said:
I'll admit, I thought it was a joke at first, too. But I realized that nobody knows everything. And there was a time when I didn't have a clue on where even the battery was. But whether it was your dad, a buddy, a book, or NAXJA, you had to get your first lesson from somewhere.

Congrats on getting dirty, halhos.

Sand

X2....we've all been there once ourselves, and we all know what its like when you dont have a clue and are scared to death of screwing something up.

Nice to see he didn't get flamed and there was alot of positive feedback.

Hope all went good!:thumbup:

once again thanks lads.im from dublin rocklandxjer..where are your people from ? anyway today i get dirty..so picture a man with post its stuck all over him....

Back