• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Interior Light Lockout Switch Mod

XJerky

NAXJA Forum User
After making the conversion to make my XJ doorless, I decided I wanted a switch to turn off the interior lights when the doors are off rather than disconnecting a wiring harness every time. This proved to be a little tricky at first, but I was able to figure it out. The pictures should show everything of what to do. I used a standard SPST rocker switch.

InteriorLightLockoutSwitch1.jpg

InteriorLightLockoutSwitch2.jpg

After making the conversion to make my XJ doorless, I decided I wanted a switch to turn off the interior lights when the doors are off rather than disconnecting a wiring harness every time. This proved to be a little tricky at first, but I was able to figure it out. The pictures should show everything of what to do. I used a standard SPST rocker switch.

InteriorLightLockoutSwitch1.jpg

InteriorLightLockoutSwitch2.jpg
nice pics and write-up, what year you have?

This mod was done on an '89. I'm not sure if the wiring is exactly the same throughout all the years, but it should be very similar.

I had taken the little buttons out of the door jamb permanently so the lights would never come on when the front doors were open. That got old after I left my headlights on and drained the battery 3-4 times. Finally put the driver's side button back in and figured out that I only have to disconnect one more clip when I take the doors off to make sure the light doesn't come on. I was already disconnecting 3 becaues of locks/windows/speakers, so what's one more.

Good idea though.

I have manual windows and locks. I did actually disconnect the second wire from the front left door switch that activates the door chime. I also removed the speakers from the front doors and mounted them in the kick panels. So, not having any wires to disconnect makes removing the doors one step easier for me. A DPST switch could be used to lock out the door chime as well using the same switch.

Back