• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Fender flare mounting bracket

kosmik

NAXJA Forum User
Just went to the junk yard today and got the 97 and newer fender flares for my 88. Every time i tried to take the mounting bracket off i broke studs. Do you guys know whats the best way to remove them or where to get new ones? Dealership wants $150 and they wouldnt get here til summer.

How to remove them? Same way you are. They just suck that way. :twak: Chrysler

What I did - on the ones that weren't so rusted they were useless, I ground out the old studs and tack welded in some #10 machine screws. On the one that was so rusted it was useless, I made a new one out of 16ga steel with some more #10s tacked into it.

Try getting them from mopardiscountparts.com et al - I can look up the part numbers if you want, I think I've posted them on here before so they may be searchable.

go to wal mart and get a cheap set of nuts and bolts

i just found the size of the hole and went to the local hardware store to replace them

They're actually metric hardware (M4 or M5 iirc, whatever takes a 10mm size nut) but I liked the box-of-100 pricing on #10 bolts a hell of a lot more than the pack-of-2 pricing on metric bolts at home depot... and it's hardly critical.

M5x.8, IIRC, although the OE nuts are larger than anything they sell locally. I have no welder access, so I just took a Dremel, cut the remaining studs flush, drilled out the holes, and JB Weld-ed the new bolts in. Working fine so far.

M5x.8, IIRC, although the OE nuts are larger than anything they sell locally. I have no welder access, so I just took a Dremel, cut the remaining studs flush, drilled out the holes, and JB Weld-ed the new bolts in. Working fine so far.

x2 Did the same thing. Works fine....

Yeah, I ended up using 1/4" flat washers iirc with the #10 bolts. Not ideal but it worked.

i broke most of them on one side replacing a flare that had ripped off. hammered it flat and welded new bolts in. golden.

soaking them in PB blaster and a gentle touch does wonders though. dont force anything. they arent load bearing so they shouldnt be a bear to take off. when they are, stop, back them up, spray it some more, and have a chug or two. dont force anything.

They're always rusty up here. I broke some of mine off within a quarter turn of putting the wrench on them, and I wasn't even pushing very hard. At that point I just gave up, bought the bolts, broke them all, and spent 15 minutes with the grinder and welder.

Back