• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Major clunking in tcase..........

Raymont

NAXJA Forum User
I heard some clunking under the jeep in 2wd, when idling around in parking lots, turning slightly, and when accelerating from a stop. It was very hard to replicate and place where the sound was comming from.

I put the jeep up on jackstands and put it in 2wd....no noise.
I then put it in 4wd and nothing.....untill i turned the wheels slightly....omg

Im new to the jeep community, but i am no idiot. Lf and rf ujoints have no play. I checked the front driveshaft, has a little bit of play in the differential but thats not the issue, at the transfercase, Sounds like there is somone in there with a 22oz framing hammer having a party! Its to the point that it shakes the motor and transmission back and forth! On the ground its fine, but up on jack stands its scary. Is a new tcase my next purchase?

The slack between the front and rear driveshaft is pretty major, haven't checked the fluid just yet, I'm sure it has been a while.....ill check it and report back.

might be your front pinion bearing....mine's shot and I clunk all the way down the road, I've had my front DS out for almost a year now cause of it

Its almost like the chain has streched too much. I think with no load on the front and rear axles, and that the small amount of play in the pinion, and ujoints, and the chain being loose. It does this, tcase turns, the slack in the chain pulls tight, jerks the drive shaft which jerks the small amount of play in the pinion, and ujoints, which turns the tires.....once the tire rotate, they put the slack back into the drive line untill they start slowing down again, then the tcase catches back up, pulls the chain tight, and the process starts all over again, its like its starting and stoping over and over again........lol.....or am I crazy.

Just for clarification, where is the fluid check for the tcase? I know it uses tranny fluid, but not sure where the dipper is.

Checked the transfercase fluid.......was like cofee......changed it and it helped a little, for now i think it will las a couple months but new on on order. Checked the diff fluid, was even worse, changed it too and lost that weird mechanical humming noise that was coming from the rear diff........makes you wonder wtf is wrong with people sometimes.....

Checked the transfercase fluid.......was like cofee......changed it and it helped a little, for now i think it will las a couple months but new on on order. Checked the diff fluid, was even worse, changed it too and lost that weird mechanical humming noise that was coming from the rear diff........makes you wonder wtf is wrong with people sometimes.....

Fluids are often overlooked/ignored which is one of the worst things you can do.

Fluids are the lifeblood of your vehicle and should be changed religiously as appropriate for the way you use your vehicle.

Fluid changes are easy to perform on the XJ. DIY.

Back