• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

New 4.0 is too cool

kenny811

NAXJA Forum User
So I have a new 4.0 with about 1700 miles on it ( 89 XJ). New everything else with it. Im running 2 electric fans, one hooked to ignition the other to a switch. Deal is it gets to about 180 and stays there. I never really ever need to turn on the fans. Is this cool? It will get hot if I push it, but just driving around town 180 maybe 190. It has a 185 T stat, I also have a sunpro gauge at the T stat housing and the dash gauge off the sensor in the back of the block. So how cool it to cool?????

Kenny
Vancouver USA

So I have a new 4.0 with about 1700 miles on it ( 89 XJ). New everything else with it. Im running 2 electric fans, one hooked to ignition the other to a switch. Deal is it gets to about 180 and stays there. I never really ever need to turn on the fans. Is this cool? It will get hot if I push it, but just driving around town 180 maybe 190. It has a 185 T stat, I also have a sunpro gauge at the T stat housing and the dash gauge off the sensor in the back of the block. So how cool it to cool?????

Kenny
Vancouver USA

put a 195* stat in it and on the ignition fan put it on a temp switch like 180 or somthing low and the other on a 200 or 220

anyware between 180 (nomal driving) and 220 (pushin' it) is what i would concider normal. the ambient air is still pretty cool too so that will assist in the cooling proccess. wait till summer when its real hot and you will be loving the aux fan.

If you're worried about it, you could add a restrictor inside one of the hoses. Could slow down the flow a little bit, help it retain a little heat. http://jeep-xj.info/HowtoRadiatorRestrictor.htm

Personally, I'd be happy with a nice, low temp like 180 - best I would get before the sending unit shit the bed was 210 or so.

Hey Kenny, good working with you on Saturday.

If you're concerned about it running too cool, put in a 195* thermostat. Like I said mine runs at 210* all day. It seems like it's running hot, but that's the normal operating temp. I wouldn't be too worried about it. Worst case is your MPG's may come down a bit from running too cool. I know several people on here run at the same temperature as yours.

Have you had it out on the trail crawling at low speeds? That's usually the ultimate cooling test.

Like Dustin said, 210 I believe is the "normal" operating temperature, and where it was designed to be.

IF your system works flawlessly at cooling I would put the higher thermostat in it (~195) and see if that brings it up for you. As long as your system works good then that should be a little more efficient.

I also would make sure that it stays nice and consistent at during crawling.

Michael

That's about where mine has run since my rebuild. Even with a 195 thermostat. Unless I'm really working it hard at trail speeds then it's up in the 215 range. After that my aux fan kicks in for a minute or two.

Very cool!!! Hey Torx it was great working with you too, look forward to doing it again. Well some really great replies here, I think I will leave it now. The summer is comming so it might be good to keep it where it is. I did read in a Jeep book that 210 is the best temp to run at, seems high to me. Other than that motor seems to run fine. O and the heater core sprung a leak..... But thats different post!!!

Thank guys
Kenny
In Vancouver

Back